Which anti-depressants don't cause weight gain?

MandysueMS
on 5/11/11 12:10 am - Amory, MS
Hi guys, I am 10 months out, and about 20 lbs from goal. My dr put me on Prozac about a month ago, and I've GAINED 5 lbs! Well I stopped taking it about a week ago and am noticing my appetite is getting back where it should, where when I was taking it before I was hungry constantly.

My question is, with everyone's experience, which anti-depressants are best for vsg/wls patients in regards to weight gain? I've about determined I'd rather be thin and a little depressed than gain my weight back and be semi-euphoric from a drug! I'm going back to see my dr today, so just needing some info on what I can suggest to her. Thanks everyone!

melford273
on 5/11/11 12:25 am - NJ
Wellbutrin is an anti depresant and is also used to aid in weight loss.  Ask your dr about it. 

Nothing tastes as good as being thin will feel

HW 319; SW 295; CW 274.5

Nothing tastes as good as being thin will feel        
USAF Wife
on 5/11/11 12:29 am
When I went on Wellbutrin last summer, I lost all my appetite. It's a bad combo with zero physical hunger, and losing my appetite caused me to drop down to 119lbs when I was fighting to maintain. I was using it for smoking cessation, and it made me have manic episodes so I had to wean off of it. I can say that it made me not want to eat at all, and I struggled with food big time during that time.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Jhb617
on 5/11/11 12:46 am - Livonia, MI
What about Topamax? It has several uses. I use it for migraines, but it's been used for depression, and weight loss too! Ask your doctor!
anninva
on 5/11/11 1:41 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
second the info about welbutrin.  also, took topomax to augment my zoloft and it made me lose weight -- because i felt sick all the time, which didn't do much for my mood!!!  taking zoloft now and was told by pdoc that it is weight-neutral.  pls let your pdoc know that you stopped the prozac.  it's dangerous to just stop taking ssri's.  good luck!!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/11 2:37 am
When I needed it for S.A.D., Wellbutrin XR is the one I liked. It helped with hunger, energy and mood. And no sexual side effects (actually it helped that too.) 

I take the smallest possible dose, higher doses gave me headaches and flushing with nausea.. But, it seems to be effective in smaller doses..

Also OTC supplement- SAM-e helps quite a bit (one or the other, not both together). If you are only mildly depressed and don't have any manic tendencies, you may want to try that first. It generally takes effect within a week, and does a good job. Nature Made brand is the best IMO, 1- 400mg pill 1x a day to start, increase if needed. It's expensive, but it does work. If you try it, make sure you have stopped your Prozac first, SSRI's and SAMe are a dangerous mix. SAMe is prescription in other countries like Germany, and it is effective, but can cause an increase in energy and insomnia, so take it early in the day on an empty stomach. 

MandysueMS
on 5/11/11 3:26 am - Amory, MS
I've been on Wellbutrin before and it was actually one of the few that worked. Sounds like I need to get back on it!  Thanks everyone!

Happy966
on 5/11/11 7:35 am

I have been on Prozac for a long time.  It is very appetite neutral for me.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

walmartian
on 5/11/11 11:29 pm
I'm on Cymbalta, it isn't supposed to cause weight gain; it's the best AD all around I've had, and I have tried many over the years.  I've had Wellbutrin before, it was ok but did make my mouth horribly dry plus made me constipated.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views