Was there anything you didn't know!!

infodiva808
on 5/12/11 9:51 pm
I may get folks disagreeing with me, but this was my experience. I did not understand that the weight loss is rapid for the first six months and slows down to about half that much for the next six months. At one year you have pretty much finished the rapid weight loss phase. It's not that you can't lose more, you really have to work at it. I think this is what is meant when they say the sleeve is a tool. I was using mine as a crutch. My advice: make the most of the rapid weight loss phase!

Miss_C
on 5/13/11 12:01 am - Southern, CA
VSG on 01/31/11 with
I had heard nothing about possible stomach spasms after surgery and of course I got them.
My surgeon came in to due a routine check of me while I was in the hospital and I had one happen. His response was "oh, you're getting spasms"... he said it in such a nonchalant way, like it was to be expected or common knowledge yet It was the first I was learning of these possible spasms and let me tell you, they aren't fun.
Since learning about them, through experience, I have read only three profiles here that have experienced the same thing, so I take it, they aren't very common and it's no wonder I hadn't heard about them. They feel exactly like a stomach growl only they are accompanied with a clenching pain and they happened every time I took a sip of something and even sometimes on their own.....could have been the spit that I swallowed that brought it on? 

I was just like you, I spent a few months quietly reading every post here that I could to get info, answers and ideas about my up and coming surgery. It's scary...the unknown and I wanted no surprises.......yet, I still got one lol. This place is great, consider yourself lucky to have been introduced to it, it can be such a mentor, support group, VSG encyclopedia and saving grace at times. I wish you well in your surgery and recovery, hope you get all the info you need and you have absolutely NO surprises..... or spasms lol. Take care :) 
*Hugs* Missy

January Sleevers:
 http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Jansleeves/discussion/

Consult Weight 254             SW 212          CW 154           GW 120 

Ask Not What Your Sleeve Can Do For You But What You Can Do For Your Sleeve!

KrisJ77
on 5/13/11 1:43 am - TX
Just a few things for you!!
1.  I woke up with a drain...it's no big deal - they took it out before I left the hospital and it didn't hurt when they removed it.  (I was scared it would).
2.  I had shots in my stomach the three days I was in - to prevent blood clots - it didn't hurt either,
3.  You know how they tell us not to eat and drink - well, one day at a restaurant I accidently drank water right after eating - it felt like someone punched me in the chest.  I will never make that mistake again!
4.  I have had 4 very memorable throw up sessions (1 at work) due to not chewing good enough and/or eating too fast (not sure).  Chew chew chew and then chew some more and TAKE YOUR TIME EATING!!! 
5. Last, but not least - be prepared to start getting a million compliments!!!

Hugs!!
Kris

kmcook
on 5/13/11 2:31 am
 WOW!!!!  Thank everyone sooooooo much!!  I really appreciate the time you spent writing to me!  I feel like I have a good grasp on what is going happen!!   My husband is being extremely supportive and to have this site helps immensely.  Thanks so much again!!   
Jenny C.
on 5/13/11 2:35 am
My doctor had warned me that some folks have hiatal hernias that require repair; most of them have acid reflux because of the hernia, so I didn't think I would have one.  The doc said I had a huge one, which was repaired during my VSG.  When I woke from surgery, it was fairly painful to take a deep breath.  My experience was that this rapidly improved.  I made it a point to breathe deeply as often as I thought of it (the pain was a good reminder) and walk frequently.  I couldn't believe how quickly I improved.

The only thing I would disagree with in the list at top is to call your doctor for whatever temperature guideline they give you...usually 100.4.  Call whenever!  If it's not serious they'll reassure you, and if it is serious you won't wait and let an infection or leak get a strong foothold.

ahleeeshah
on 5/13/11 5:44 am
I just posted this as a reply over on the lightweights forum, but it applies here! As a warning, this sounds kinda scary, but it's completely normal, so don't worry!

When I got out of surgery and they were bringing me to recovery before taking me to my actual room, I woke up and I was shaking really, really hard. I didn't feel cold, but my teeth were going, my legs, my arms, everything was blurry and I couldn't tell what was happening. The nurses said it was okay and it happened sometimes and that it would stop soon, but I was so scared because this wasn't something I had heard of before.

In the end they were right and I was totally fine. It is apparently something to do with body temperature regulation after anesthesia, and it happens. I just wish that I had known about it beforehand so it wasn't so scary for me!

Please please please don't let this freak you out. I had an ideal surgery and a beautiful recovery (I had surgery on a Monday and was back to work the next Monday). No complications to speak of so far, everything is going down fine and I've always been able to get my water and protein in. Just a weird thing our bodies do, but I know I would've liked to know beforehand!
kmcook
on 5/13/11 2:20 pm
 No it doesnt freak me out at all!  Quite the opposite.  It just prepares me for things that could happen.  I really appreciate everyones input!!
corimeyers24
on 5/13/11 7:32 am - TX
charmaine A.
on 5/13/11 10:23 pm - MI
I researched everything i possibly could and I read about the swollow test after surgery being bad...Well I can honestly tell you it was the worst tasting stuff ever but the surgery was a breeze and I feel because I was prepared it has helped me so far.  do your research.. and walk walk walk...Congrats on  a date..

Best of Luck, Charmaine

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 406 views