NEED HONEST, NO-HOLDS BARRED ANSWERS!!

H_kd27
on 5/15/11 11:14 pm - DC
VSG on 07/25/11 with

I am a new member!!  I am struggling!!! Considering the sleeve but need honest post-op stories....what is recovery like? maintenance? lifestyle?

USAF Wife
on 5/15/11 11:27 pm
Recovery is individualized, no one person will have the same recovery. Some have it easier than others, some struggle. Losing was disgustingly easy for me, maintenance is where the real "work" begins, but I find it fairly easy as well. I live a very normal life at almost 2 years post-op. Maintained my 138lbs loss for nearly a year until the pregnancy. I still have amazing restriction, and I'm still never physically hungry. I have zero food or medication restrictions, I'm pregnant and thriving. No one ever suspects that I've had VSG because I eat like a normal skinny chick.

Don't just go off personal experiences, research, research and research some more. This link is full of personal stories, but at the bottom are some research links that can help you make a decision on if the sleeve is best for you.

http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

H_kd27
on 5/16/11 10:23 am - DC
VSG on 07/25/11 with
Congrats on all of your successes!!! I wish you the best with your new addition!!
Crunchy As Can Be
on 5/15/11 11:40 pm - NY
Surgery is surgery-- it's not a magical cure, and the process (during and afterwards) are very dangerous. Many people do really great-- not too much pain, no trouble with getting in fluids/protein/pills/activity and the weight falls off. And not to scare you off, but others have an awful time-- tons of post-op complications, prolonged hospital stays, infections, leaks, severe pain, multiple surgeries to repair fistulas and tears, needing to keep a drain in your abdomen for months, not eating for months but requiring long-term IV nutrition... lots of complications to name.

I think most of the stories that you'll hear on here are positive (mine included, so far!), but I agree that you should research research research before you make a decision because this is about your health and your body, and since you've only got one body you need to take it as serious business. When you go for your medical consultation ask for statistics on national, international and that particular doctor's rate of complications, the type of complications, and the likely causes for them.

Being informed was the best decision I ever made when deciding to go forward with sleeve gastrectomy!

Happy decision making!
 ~~Emily~~

H_kd27
on 5/16/11 10:26 am - DC
VSG on 07/25/11 with
Thanks for your honesty!!!!  Keep up the good work!
SassyItalian
on 5/16/11 12:03 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Pretty much everything USAF wife said. Recovery depends from person to person. I didnt have a ton of pain or discomfort..The first few days were rough, my abdomen area was heavy, sipping was a chore..But it quickly got better-

In fact my VSG was wayyyyy easier than the ovarian cyst removal with a c-section incision that I just had this month..

I also didnt get my full 100% energy bac****il recently, while some people feel normal within a month.

Research, research, research- read posts, see what others are going through on liquids, mushies, full foods, listen to peoples stories of being in the hospital..your best tools are 1. Being armed with tons of information and 2. having a positive attitude.

I do have to say, any temporary discomfort and crappy liquid diet was worth every second to have the results that i am achieving now.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Maureen K.
on 5/16/11 1:34 am
 Ask yourself why you are considering the sleeve vs other options. When I first started researching WLS I was positive I did not want the RNY, why because my sister and best friend had it they both look unhealthy to me and have many issues due to the lack of nutrients they by pass. I was really interested in the lap band as it has been so over advertised and crammed down our throat so I went to consult with a surgeon and attend a seminar. After that I was not feeling so right about the lap band when the surgeon discussed the third option the sleeve that I had not even heard of It sounded great. I was hoping that the surgeon would reccomend one for me but he said everyones life style is different you have to see which one fits in your lifestyle the best. Well the RNY was out did not like the restrictions it had on certain foods did not like altering the way the digestive system worked and Im not real good at taking vitamins religously. so..... Lap band I came here which the surgeon suggested i do and talk and read about those who have had it all I saw was complication after complication plus the fact that I was a self pay and if something did go wrong or complicated after surgery I would  have to pay again to get it fixed or removed. I thought you can't possibly have this foreign object inside you for life so at some point you are paying for another surgery and what happens when it is removed I am fat again. I wanted something more permanent and whalaa that was the sleeve. No real food restrictions sure I take vitamins , no having to run to the doc for fills and unfills and permanent. 
So the sleeve I love it I reached my goal at 10 months at 12 months I was below and goal and remain there today pretty effortless  I had plastics at one year and it has been 2.5 years now and I am loving life. It was not a piece of cake took months getting use to and getting energy back but now I love my life and only wish I had done it sooner. SO I say you did the right thing coming to oh checkout all the boards talk to as many people as you can and then pick which fits your life. 
Best wishes to you on your journey. 

Cheers 

MO

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

H_kd27
on 5/16/11 10:30 am - DC
VSG on 07/25/11 with

You look great!!!!  Keep up the good work!!!  Thanks for the info!!

OldMedic
on 5/16/11 2:38 am - Alvaton, KY
My recovery was uneventful.  I had very little pain, and what i did have was well controlled.

I had very little energy going into surgery, and that didn't change right away.  But, within a month, I was reagining energy to levels I had not experienced for years (I was 65 when I had my surgery done).

I stuck pretty close to my program.  I did cheat from time to time (damn that Hagen Daz), but I did not freak out about it, and I kept the cheats to a minimum.

I walked for exercise.  That's all the exercise I did (I do some situps now, to keep the belly muscles tight) and it is essentially all the exercise I do today.  I built up to walking 3 miles at a time, 3 days a week at my old Army marching pace.

Maintenance?  I don't know what you mean by maintenance.  I eat anything that I feel like eating.  If it was ever alive, I will probably try it at least once.  I eat all meats, seafood, veggies, pies, cakes, doughnuts, ice cream, pudding, breads, salads, you name it and I eat it.

I still can only eat about 1/2 to 1 cup of anything  The more dense it is, the less of it I can eat.

If I regain 5 pounds, then I go back on the protein shakes and get it off.  That's the ONLY maintenance that I do.  I still take a good multivitamin every day, 1500mg of Calcium and iron supplements.

I have more energy than I had at 40.  I look good, and I feel great.

The ONLY regret I have is that I didn't have this done long before i did

Anything else you want to know?

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

H_kd27
on 5/16/11 10:33 am - DC
VSG on 07/25/11 with
WOW!!!  Impressive!!!  Thanks for the  - - keep up the good work!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views