Had pre-op appt today, now I need opinions!

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 10:32 am
 I am curious about the total hysterectomy if you don't mind me asking. Why did they do it/?

katier825
on 5/20/11 1:42 pm
The catheter was inserted/removed while I was asleep.  I actually wouldn't have minded if they kept it in longer.  With all the IV fluids, my bladder was filling up, but it was still sleepy from the anesthesia and I had trouble peeing.  After a day or so I was fine.  The drain was no big deal...more of an inconvenience than anything.  It didn't hurt and is easy to empty.  I had mine in until my post op visit, 6 days I think.  Some doctors remove them before sending the patient home.  Each doctor has his own preferences about that.  If you do go home with one, see if you can get one of those lanyards (like a work badge holder that goes around the neck).  It's much easier to shower that way.  When it came time to remove it, the doctor kept me and hubby talking, which was a great distraction.  It didn't hurt, but was some tugging.

I never had an NG tube, so I can't comment on that.

Good luck!
wert
on 5/20/11 2:30 pm - MN
Catheter - nothing to it when it came out. Pop and it was gone.

Drains - didn't have them for VSG but had them for breast reduction 6 years ago. The nurse took them out and I wasn't even aware she was done. Nothing to it, either.

Tube in nose? Never had it so don't know about it.

I'm a big baby and very sensitive to pain. If this stuff hurt I'd be sure to tell you!

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views