Had pre-op appt today, now I need opinions!

mommy_03
on 5/20/11 5:30 am
Hi Everyone,
I am getting sleeved on June 6th.  At my pre-op appt today, I found out that I am going to have to have a catheder, a drain, and also one of those tubes down my nose, and now I AM TERRIFIED!!  i know that it will all be put in there while I am asleep, but they have to come out while I am awake and I am freaking out.  I've had a catheder before so I know what to expect...coming out it wasn't pleasant, but quick, thankfully.  But waking up with a tube that is in my nose is making me having a panic attack!  And the drain, I can't imagine that being to pleasant either!  My question is, in your HONEST opinion, what did it feel like either the drain or that nose tube thing coming out???  

ALSO, btw, when I got at the scale @ the doctor, I gained 7 lbs!!!!!!  GRRRRRRRR....musta been all those last suppers!!!

Anyway, what was it like when you 1st came out of surgery and you had all these tubes?  did you automatically want them taken out because you couldn't stand them in there?  Or were you kinda used to them & didnt really feel it until the time came to take them out?  
Kim_M
on 5/20/11 5:32 am - LaPorte, TX
Sorry I can't help had none of the above!

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
emelar
on 5/20/11 5:33 am - TX
I only had a drain, and it accidentally got pulled out while I was in the hospital.  Must have been all the moving I was doing.  I didn't even feel it come out.  The nurse had to point out to me that it was dragging on the floor.

Can't help with the other two - didn't have either.
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 5:56 am
I don't understand why you are having all of these attached, I had none of them. 
mirandainmn
on 5/20/11 5:57 am - MN
Sorry, I didn't have any of those.  I was totally freaked out though when the anethesiologist told me I'd be awake when they take the breathing tube out of my throat post surgery.  Apparently you have to be awake so they know you're breathing, makes sense.  Anyway, I don't remember it at all.  I'm guessing they'll take these things out for you soon after surgery as well and you will hardly feel or remember it.
sandy18
on 5/20/11 6:18 am - FL
 Hi, I am getting sleeved on June 9th so maybe we can give each other support?!

I will also have all of those as well, but I have always heard that all of them are a pain to put in but are ok coming out.

I've only had catheters before and it has never been a problem for me.

My sister had RNY and she said that it didn't bother her at all.  That it kind of tickled but that was it.

I'll be wishing you lots of luck!
Backinstride
on 5/20/11 6:41 am
A lot of people don't know everyone who has major surgery is put on a respirator. I did not know this until the day of my surgery my anesthesiologist informed me of this. I had surgery before and he told me I just did not know it. Also they take it out at the last minute so you never know. They took my drain out before I left the hospital. My drain was stitched in and the nurse removed the sutures and gently pulled it out it did not hurt at all. I am being honest you won't feel a thing you will be fine. Once you put that mask on for them to put you to sleep you will be waking up in the recovery room or your room. They make sure you are very comfortable.

Nurse_Audrey
on 5/20/11 8:15 am - Houston, TX
I cant say that I have had those while awake but I did have tubes in while I was out and they were removed before I came to my room. I never had a JP drain though. I don't remember the others because I was just waking up when they came out. I will tell you this as a nurse having put in NGT or nasogastric tubes  that the going in seems to be worse for patients then the coming out. they can be a little irritating to the back of your throat but overall they are not terrible. The taking out is the easy part. it might be a little uncomfortable but otherwise it will be fine don't freak.its over with quickly. The JP drain is not awful either and will probably be removed as soon as very little drainage starts coming out. If this is the kind of drain you will have it looks like a little suction bulb ball on the end of a little tube. The nurse will squeeze all the air out of it and attach it to the tube so that over time it slowly helps to pull out fluid that has collected inside you. It shouldn't be painful it might be a little irritating. I had a pump placed under the skin (this is a little different though) that was pulled out before I was discharged home I did not feel it at all.  Don't freak these things are not terrible and you can handle it!!!! stay positive!!!

Crimson
on 5/20/11 9:17 am - MD
Out of all three, the drain was the most odd feeling/ "weird" thing to me. Didn't feel catheter at all when pulled out next morning. I was awake but still under heavy anesthesia when I had the mouth tube pulled. Didn't feel a thing though.

Now, when the drain was pulled, I could feel the raveling of it in me. Didn't hurt, just a weird/tickling feeling; as if i could feel it hitting against my other organs lol.

But none of these things were painful to me. Especially not to the gas pains!!
mommy_03
on 5/20/11 10:24 am
Thanks everyone!  I am trying to stay calm.  I can tolerate pain pretty well, with 2 c-sections, and a total hysterectomy 18 months ago...I just totally freak when it comes to catheders.  I had a bad experience with them in the past (to the point of almost passing out), so we shall see.  Either way, I'm not going to let it keep me from getting sleeved!  :)  I do feel better though knowing what everyone else's experiences were...sometimes that is all ya need to start feeling better, knowing that you aren't the only one :)  
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views