More research information for VSG

B. Bap
on 5/31/11 4:10 pm
Hey VSGers,

Very quick update. My appeal was denied.  But I am still fighting on VSG, we dont have the Medical Review here in MD so I am appealing to HR or for us federal employees OPM.

There is so much that I could go into, like how the references used by the Medical Analyst that review my case  4 out 6 determined that VSG is an acceptable procedure. Or how they requested additional information from my hematologist and the information was included in my entire medical record sent by my PCP.  SO that made me think they didn't review all of the medical records.   But I digress... I will bring up this information to the MD Insurance Admin and I have bought them to the attention of OPM in my appeal.

So in my research and thanks to the letter sent to me by Carefirst, I have some newer additional reference documentation supporting VSG.

Sorry for the format, I just did a simple cut and past from the internet and my letter.
I just wanted to share this information to anyone that may need it.

Take Care VSGers!

New:

·         Laproscopic Reinforced Sleeve Gastrectomy: Early Results and Complications. Angrisani L, Cutolo PP, Buchwald JN, McGlennon TW, Nosso G, Persico F, Capaldo B, Savastano S.Obes Surg 2011 April 15. [Epub ahead of print]

o   Study: This research performed for 116 patients where the mean BMI was 48.6 was a study against leak using a technique incorporating gastric transection-line reinforcement were studied.—

o   Conclusion: Laparoscopic Peri-Strips Dry (PSD)-reinforced LSG as a staged or definitive procedure is safe and effective in the short term and provides rapid type 2 diabetes mellitus reduction with a very low rate of complications.

·         Preliminary Outcomes 1 year after Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy Based on Bariatric Analysis and reporting Outcome System (BAROS). Bobowicz M, Lehmann A, Orlowski M, Lech P, Michalik M. Obes Surg. 2011 Apr 15. [Epub ahead of print]

o   Study: This study was to assess outcomes of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) as a stand-alone bariatric operation according to the Bariatric Analysis and Reporting Outcome System (BAROS). One hundred twelve patients included and operated on initially, 84 patients followed up for 14-56 months mean initial BMI 44.62 kg/m(2)

o   Conclusion: Presented LSG series shows that the LSG as a stand-alone procedure provides acceptable %EWL (percentage of excessive weight loss) and good global BAROS outcomes. It significantly improves comorbidities as well.

·         Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for the treatment of morbid obesity. A prospective study of 117 patients. Leyba JL, Aulestia SN, Llopis SN. Obes Surg. 2011 Feb; (2):212-6

o    Study: Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LRYGB) is one of the most widely used bariatric procedures today, and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) as a single-stage procedure for the treatment of morbid obesity is becoming increasingly popular. In this study, we prospectively compared both techniques in order to establish whether there is any superiority of one over the other based on morbidity and effectiveness.

o   Conclusion: One year after surgery, average excess weight loss was 86% in LRYGB and 78.8% in LSG. In the short term, both techniques are comparable regarding safety and effectiveness, so not one procedure is clearly superior to the other.

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity: case-control study.

Chouillard EK, Karaa A, Elkhoury M, Greco VJ; Intercontinental Society of Natural Orifice, Endoscopic, and Laparoscopic Surgery (i-NOELS).

Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011 Mar 8. [Epub ahead of print]

PMID:
[PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for the treatment of morbid obesity. A prospective study of 117 patients.

Leyba JL, Aulestia SN, Llopis SN.

Obes Surg. 2011 Feb;21(2):212-6.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Intraoperative fluid replacement and postoperative creatine phosphokinase levels in laparoscopic bariatric patients.

Wool DB, Lemmens HJ, Brodsky JB, Solomon H, Chong KP, Morton JM.

Obes Surg. 2010 Jun;20(6):698-701. Epub 2010 Mar 3.

PMID:

Discrepancy between ideal and realistic goal weights in three bariatric procedures: who is likely to be unrealistic?

Heinberg LJ, Keating K, Simonelli L.

Obes Surg. 2010 Feb;20(2):148-53. Epub 2009 Oct 1.

PMID:

The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of bariatric (weight loss) surgery for obesity: a systematic review and economic evaluation.

Picot J, Jones J, Colquitt JL, Gospodarevskaya E, Loveman E, Baxter L, Clegg AJ.

Health Technol Assess. 2009 Sep;13(41):1-190, 215-357, iii-iv. Review.

PMID:
Free Article 6.

Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a retrospective review of 1- and 2-year results.

Jacobs M, Bisland W, Gomez E, Plasencia G, Mederos R, Celaya C, Fogel R.

Surg Endosc. 2010 Apr;24(4):781-5. Epub 2009 Aug 19.

PMID:

Feasibility of sleeve gastrectomy as a revision operation for failed silastic ring vertical gastroplasty.

Elazary R, Hazzan D, Appelbaum L, Rivkind AI, Keidar A.

Obes Surg. 2009 May;19(5):645-9. Epub 2008 Oct 7.

PMID:

Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: does bougie size affect mean %EWL? Short-term outcomes.

Parikh M, Gagner M, Hea**** L, Strain G, Dakin G, Pomp A.

Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2008 Jul-Aug;4(4):528-33.

PMID:

Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy with ileal transposition (SGIT): A new surgical procedure as effective as gastric bypass for weight control in a porcine model.

Boza C, Gagner M, Devaud N, Escalona A, Muñoz R, Gandarillas M.

Surg Endosc. 2008 Apr;22(4):1029-34. Epub 2008 Feb 13.

PMID:

B. Bap
on 5/31/11 4:12 pm
That format is really bad, sorry. If you send me a message I will get you the information if you want.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views