Unjury...Protein Intake Pre-op

Heavenly518
on 6/3/11 4:05 am - schenectady, NY
Hey OB! its me!!  mwahahaha...

Just kidding, anyways I am new in this whole wls process: waiting to meet with the doctor of nutrition next week. Anyways I met with the nutritionist and dietician a few weeks ago. I have started to increase my water intake and pretty much just eat healthier all around.

Now to the Point!! I know Im long winded..lol

Well I want to start incorporating more protein into my diet, just to prepare for life after surgery. I have ordered unjury but I do not know how I go about actually getting it in my "diet". I was wondering if anybody can maybe give me a general meal plan that uses protein supplements ie: unjury in conjunction with other food? Im sooo confused, and probably have just confused you too!??..

I would like to maybe substitute 1 or 2 meals with unjury? but I do not know if this is too much too soon? any advice would be GREAT!!! thanks sooo much ya'll

Blessings,
Heavenly (I love that lil angel face, looks great next to my name hehe)
Elaine2
on 6/3/11 4:28 am, edited 6/3/11 4:29 am - Atlanta, GA
Are you a breakfast person? I have found that allot of us were not pre surgery or we would eat fast food on the way to work (just my personal assessment). A good way to begin may be to start the day with a protein shake. Here are some recipes.
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-fa vorite-protein-shake-recipes.html

I'm not one who adds protein supplements to other foods but I do still use a protein shake every morning. Otters will be able to give you advise about Unjury.

Good luck.

faylavi
on 6/3/11 4:29 am - Laurel, MD
I use Unjury for breakfast on weekdays.  I mix with skim milk and some benefiber, blend and off to work I go.  Give it a try.

Fay
(deactivated member)
on 6/3/11 7:05 am - CA
 I use Unjury for all my supplemented protein (about 3 scoops per day right now). The only way I can do protein shakes is mixed with water, crystal light and benefiber. They don't bother me a bit (If I mix with any kind of milk, they make me horribly sick). 

Before surgery, I loved Biochem's vanilla, but couldn't stand it at all after surgery, and it is very high in carbs. Your tastes may change, don't get too attached to anything you figure out now :)
LittleMissSunshine
on 6/3/11 8:05 am, edited 6/3/11 8:08 am
Agreed on having a shake for breakfast.  Keep in mind that your body can only absorb 30gs of protein at a time, so that's a scoop and a half of Unjury (or you could just do 1 scoop for 20gs).  I usually just have a Chocolate Splendor shake, but I recently tried the Strawberry Sorbet and it's not bad... I could see mixing it with some strawberries for a decent smoothie (once I get to the stage where I can have strawberries again).

I haven't tried mixing the unflavored kind in with food yet, but I hear a lot of people do that with soups, yogurt, pudding, potatos, etc. 

Aside from all the blender recipes out there, you also might want to pick up a Blender Bottle for quick and easy milk/water only shakes on the go.

For pre-op purposes, different surgeons and nutritionists have different guidelines, so I'd check with yours to see what they recommend as far as substitutions go.  I was on a low-carb diet for the month leading up to my VSG, I used Unjury for breakfast and as an afternoon snack to tide me over between lunch and dinner... that seemed to work well.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views