Newly sleeved with a question???

kmcook
on 6/12/11 2:46 pm
 Hi All,

I am 3 days post-op.  I am feeling pretty good today.  I had a question.  When I have taken my pain meds it is MUCH easier for me to get my fluid down.  Is that normal?  When I feel the pain meds waring off it hurts and I feel pain in my chest when I drink my fluids.  Should I slow down when I'm on the pain meds.  Am I going to hurt myself in anyway buy taking in more fluids when the pain meds are working because I don't feel any pain?  Will the pressure I feel in my chest after drinking lighten up in the next few days?  

Thanks so much! 

Carly ~
on 6/12/11 3:10 pm
 I've read discomfort is really common.  I'm still pre-op, but as long as you're sipping, and taking small amounts in, you'll be okay.
Everything I've read posted from people say to stay on top of your pain medication schedule without skipping for the first little while.  I've read from newly sleeved patients, that even if you feel okay, take your pain medication as scheduled to keep the pain from becoming unbearable.
I'm glad you're feeling pretty good!
I'm sure it's very normal for there to be less pain in your new pouch with the meds in while it's healing.  Take advantage!

All the best!
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/11 3:25 pm
I had the same experience, and I purposely kept my sips small.. but frequent. My take home instructions said no more than 2oz every 15 mins. The pressure will get better every day- I think the first 5 days for me were the worst, sipping wise- then I noted it was much easier to get in the fluids.. by a week- no problems. 3 days out is when I think I felt the most swelling!
_rebecca
on 6/12/11 3:28 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with

The pain is usually always from swelling.  Some people swell more than others.  If it helps you drink more with the pain meds, I think that is a good thing.  Fluids really help you recover.  Hot drinks, like tea or sugar free hot chocolate (made with water) really helped me.  Congrats on your sleeve!  It is always hard those first couple of weeks, but it gets better.  I wish you a speedy recovery.

Erica77
on 6/12/11 4:47 pm - MN
Hey surgery sister! I'm also having the same issue with liquids. When I had my leak test it took a while for the liquids to enter the stomach. My sleeve is more narrow the my esophagus, so the fluid seemed to sit there longer has it "filtered" down to my stomach. I'm also burping like crazy!
I'm taking smaller sips, making sure I put the cup down in between sips. I do sip more when I take my pain meds, but I also sleep for about 2 hours after I take it.
While in the hospital they gave me 2 injections of Toradol for the swelling and that really helped a lot. I was like a new person after that.
RecklessAbandon
on 6/12/11 9:22 pm
Sounds normal to me.  I am 6 days post op. I have stopped my pain meds already. Yesterday I only took one half dose. My surgeon told me the day after surgery that my sleeve was so swollen it was about the size of a pen.  He said in the next 2 weeks it would gradually grow bigger. keep up with the slow sipping.  He also said that if you are experiencing chest pressure that you are drinking too fast and that will cause unneeded pressure on the sleeve.  I wouls slow down as much as you can.   Good Luck!!!!!!
My surgical nurse best quote--- This surgery is like road construction....It is a temporary inconvenience for a permanent improvement.        
MrsClaus09
on 6/12/11 9:31 pm
Give it time...you are still so early out!  I wasn't able to really "drink" until at least a month after surgery.  Now, I'm pretty much back to my pre-surgery normal when it comes to liquids. 
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 253 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views