calorie intake ....questions, questions question....anyone??

luckiestparentoftwo
on 6/22/11 4:07 pm - Canada
I have been reading my info for my after surgery i know that i am on a pureed diet...but how many calories??

Can you show me a sample of what your day  looked like for food and drink...

How many grams of protein should you be consuming?

What are you taking for vitamins?

What did your menu look like after surgery?  Favorite meals pureed....etc...

thank you for your input...i am so glad i found all of you!!!
wert
on 6/22/11 4:35 pm - MN
When I went in for my first 2 follow-up appointments after surgery I asked both the doc and NUT about counting calories, carbs, sugar. They said not to worry about it YET. In your first few weeks and months you have to concentrate on getting in as much protein and fluids as you can. Now, that was just what I was told. Check with your surgeon and see what he/she tells you.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

jbskaggs
on 6/22/11 5:35 pm - holt, MO
 About 1000 calories give or take- avoid empty calories from sodas etc.

ElleMarie
on 6/22/11 6:46 pm
 My doc want 800 in the weeks following surgery and then eventually it will go up to about 1000-1200 depending on if you are still losing or maintaining.  

I am having a TERRRIBLE time getting it enought calories.  Who would have thought THAT would be my issue!! LOL

We are supposed to be at 30 grams of protien for the initial period and then later that might go up.  I know when my hubby had a RNY surgery 8 years ago he was supposed to get in 70 grams, but the surgeon said men need more than women.
 laurieunapologetically.blogspot.com/
Gastric Sleeve 6/10/2011
Starting weight 291
Dr Ortiz, Tijauna Mexico
katier825
on 6/22/11 7:15 pm
Back at the beginning, I was only told to monitor the protein and fluids.  For protein it was 60-80 grams and 64 oz of fluids.  The first 2 weeks I didn't meet either requirement.  I got the protein up there quickly after that, but still had a hard time getting all the fluids in.  I was probably at least a month or more out before I could get the fluids in.  Once you start eating solid foods, you might want to track carbs.  Everyone varies, as do their plans, but under 40 seems to be the general goal for carbs.

I think the most common average of plans is somewhere in the 600-800 calorie range while losing the weight.  It's hard to even get that in if you eat what you are supposed to eat.  I suppose if someone had a milkskake, the could go over, but probably not on the food itself.  It's really hard to eat more than a couple of ounces early on.

Prior to surgery, I pureed some of my favorite homemade chicken pie (minus the crust).  I put it in ice cube trays and froze it, then popped it in baggies and was able to grab a meal quickly to take for lunch.  I was allowed any sauces/gravies I wanted in order to moisten the meats.  For vitamins, I took the Kirkland chewable ones. I often will pick up a rotisserie chicken and divide it up into servings.  It is easy, usually pretty moist and goes a long way.  I measure all of my foods still, even though I'm at (below) my goal.  I want to be careful so that I do not regain.
George B.
on 6/23/11 1:13 am - Miami, FL
My doctor gave me the follow plan for post-op;

1. Eat 600-800 calories per day when losing weight  and 1,200 calories to maintain
2. Limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day
3. Eat 70-100 gram of protein daily
4. Minimum 64 oz. liquids daily
5. Regular exercise/physical activity
6. Track what you eat ( I use myfitnesspal.com to track calories, carbs, protein, etc.)

I take 1 multivitamin and 1 B-12 sublingual dialy and 2 Fiber Gummies every other day. I've had labs every 3 months post-op and they have all been excellent with no deficiencies. Some people also take calcium supplements but I have not needed to likely because I consume a lot of dairy.

In the pureed stage I liked the following;
Lentil soup run through the blender
Greek yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Refried Beans
Tuna or Chicken salad run through the food processor
Beef broth

onehappygirl
on 6/23/11 4:19 am
Hi George!  I love milk and used to drink quarts of it every day ****cold).  Now the only milk I have is in my morning coffee and 1/2 cup in my protein drinks.  Yesterday I was dying for a glass of milk and drank about 1 1/2 cup of milk.  When I went to put it into MyFitnessPal, I was shocked to see the huge amounts of carbs in milk.  It blew out my carb quota for the day.  I just never realized how many carbs were in drinking milk.  I rushed to the fridge to check out the various cheese slices I have bought and most only have 1 or even 0 carbs in them, which sorta mystifies me, as it is the same dairy group.  Thank goodness I started using MyFitnessPal---I now write every last thing that passes thru my gullet and I think it is really going to help.  Do you drink milk?  Just wondering as I see you kept your carbs real low when you were in your losing phase, yet stated you do alot of dairy. 
George B.
on 6/23/11 11:10 am - Miami, FL
Most of my carbs come from dairy.

I drink Smart Balance Lactose-Free Fat-Free milk which has 14 grams of carbs per 8 oz. serving. In order to reduce the carbs I dilute a 4 oz. serving of milk with 4 oz. of cold water. Most of the time I make Lattes with Starbucks Via, 4 oz. milk and 4 oz. water. I've gotten accustomed to drinking my milk this way and it taste normal to me.

I also eat a lot of Fresh Mozzarella and this has 4 grams of carbs per 1 oz. serving.

Myfitnesspal.com has been extremely useful o me in keeping to the program and making adjustments to my eating.

Maureen K.
on 6/23/11 2:25 am
 Well you won't be worrying about calories for the first few months you won't be bale to get in enough to worry about so that being said I can tell you that I was only getting in about 300-400 calories a day the first three months. Now that is not good and many are able to get in more. 

You should drink as much fluid as you can and my surgeon required 80 grams of protein a day which I could never accomplish I usually got in 50-60 grams. 

I would eat hard boiled egg never fini**** Tuna 1 tables spoon on a cracker , a couple tablespoons of cottage cheese, I loved taco bell refried beans with sour cream and hot sauce but could only eat a couple spoonfuls , I would spread cream cheese and sprouts on a slice of turkey meat roll it up and then slice into small pin wheels and eat a couple of those. 

For vitamins I took pre natal - I am not a big drinker of fluids so I never do very good in that dept. even to this day but I drink only propel flavored waters I love the lemon ones and ice tea. 

Now at 2 1/2 years I have to watch and count calories and I try and keep it to 1200 daily sometimes I have more sometimes less but I maintain pretty easy eating anything and everything. I have ten more that I would love to l lose but I know that if I don't go back to exactly what I was doing in the begninning it is never going to happen we will see today is a new morning goin to try again today. 

Best wishes to you on your journey you are going to love it 

Cheers 

MO

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op