day 6 why do i feel sl blah?

nursejlo
on 7/5/11 8:37 am
Im on day 6 post op and just feel so icky. Im staying hydrated and I kno im not getting in a lot of protein but my surgeon told me to concentrate on the fluids. Will this pass?
roundater
on 7/5/11 8:39 am - Lincoln, NE
I have had no problem with my post op. I would say if the icky feeling keeps up check with your doc.
Rich Sonderegger

hollykim
on 7/5/11 8:41 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Yes,it will pass. You should know from your training that 6 days post op is not  lot for post surgery patients. It can take up to and over 6 months tp0 fully recover from any surgical procedure.

Also,hormones are stored in fat and as we began to burn off the fat the hormones are released into our blood streams and can cause all kinds of ick.

Hang in there,drink ALL you can and give yourself  break!
Keep us posted,
Holly

Could_It_Be
on 7/5/11 8:50 am
It WILL get better! I will be two weeks out tomorrow and honestly just started feeling not-blah two days ago.
injeneral
on 7/5/11 8:55 am
I'm sure it will! if you have a gut feeling that something isn't right then contact your doctor, but remember: you just had most of your stomach detached from the rest. Your body is bound to feel "blah" for at least a couple of weeks, don't you think? Until it settles into its New Normal?

And you probably answered your own question in your post -- try upping your protein and see if you feel better.
squirrellady
on 7/5/11 9:02 am
I felt bad for over 2 weeks and then did not feel great. It just kindof faded into having good days and I have to remind myself after 3 years that it was not a picnic having surgery. I would do it again in a heartbeat but I was not one that bounced back the next day and go back to work. I stayed out of work for 3 weeks. I don't  think I actually started getting my protein in until about week 3 and then I made it a goal. I am 20 pounds away from goal and I have to get back on protein, protein, protein, water, water, water. I have let the carb monster into my life and I have not gained a thing but have not lost either. Give yourself time to heal.
Sharon
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 9:57 am
Sure it'll pass.  Your body is going into carb withdrawal, drastically reduced caloric intake, probably caffeine withdrawal, adjusting to new vitamins, and overall just letting you know "Hey, what the hell are you doing different?".

I found during periods of extreme quick weight loss I felt like you.  I had a lot of ups and downs for about six months easy, then it leveled out and I began feeling better after I began exercising regularly my overall feeling improved drastically.

But yeah, focus on fluids, get in as much protein as you can (within recommended levels of course), and I bet you'll feel better once you get into mushies with slightly increased caloric intake (refried beans and instant mashed potatoes really saved my life at 1.5 to 2 weeks).  Make sure you're getting in your vitamins, and just know it'll get better.
mysticblue
on 7/5/11 10:21 am
I had a very hard time my first month, and after the first few weeks of dizziness and weakness I asked my nutritionist about it. I kept thinking I am not getting enough food (mind tricks) ro enough protein. But she said it was most likely potassium. So I drank a few V-8 drinks, which are loaded with potassium, and I was instantly feeling better. Who knew! Anyway, a few area to check would be your potassium and your iron. Both affect mood and function and are easy to correct. I hope you feel better soon.

Lori H.

kalimamasmom
on 7/5/11 11:09 am
I felt lousy until 6 weeks post op, and then it was like night and day.  I was actually super low on Vitamin D.  I just changed all my vitamins to liquid at 4 weeks (gross but worth it) and by 6 weeks I was ready to run a marathon.  I feel great now, but those first 6 weeks I was thinking to myself...wth did I do!!!  LOL!
Hang in there, it gets better!
Jen

nursejlo
on 7/5/11 11:50 am
Thanx guys!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op