Weight restriction after surgery

Amy 2bhealthy
on 7/13/11 3:14 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I am meeting with my surgeon next week to discuss a revision, most likely to VSG. I have a one year old and have concerns about having the surgery.

First, I know I will be scared that I won't be okay after, but I am sure that is a common fear for most people. When I had my band, I didn't have any children so I was lots less concerned...and since having her, I am more emotional too.

Second, I am concerned with what to do with my daughter after surgery. I know there will be weight restrictions, which I will ask about next week, but how much were you restricted to carrying and for how long? I am trying to figure out how to make things work if/when I have surgery. My husband works alot and usually I have to pick up/drop off daycare and there really isn't anyway to get her in the carseat without picking her up.

I know others have been here, done this, so I thought I'd see what you had to say! Thanks!! :) 

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

jfab1978
on 7/13/11 4:12 am - CA
I too have a young one at home that wanted to be held after I had surgery.  For the first week I didn't hold him too much, I'd have Daddy pick him up when he needed to be, but honestly, I was fine the second week and on.  He's a hefty 30 lbs of love and I would just do my best to sit down with him and hold him as often as I could.  Sure the doctor puts a restriction on you on what you can carry (mine was 10 lbs), but when it comes to your babies you gotta do what you gotta do. 

Good luck on your VSG!!! It's well worth it!

Amy 2bhealthy
on 7/13/11 4:37 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Thanks for your reply. That makes me feel like it is more managable. I am sure I am overthinking it too, but I don't want to expect to do too much and then have a problem either. I am thinking if I can get someone to keep her/pick her up for the first week to two, I was hoping to be okay. She is 20 lbs now but will be closer to 25 by this fall when I am thinking of having the revision.

Thanks again!

Amy

Cali1212
on 7/13/11 4:48 am
I have a 3 year old and my dr said 12 weeks before I can lift him. You have a greater chance of getting a hernia until 3 months post op.
Amy 2bhealthy
on 7/13/11 4:54 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Wow...that is a long time! I am sure I will need to watch how I pick her up for a while, but that is crazy to think a Mom will not be able to not lift their children for 3 months. With a 3 yr old I guess you can explain a little bit to him. I will try have her climb up and sit mostly and won't try to carry around as much. Maybe I should start breaking her into that habit now.

Thanks for your reply.

Amy

luckiestparentoftwo
on 7/13/11 6:50 am - Canada
i too just had vsg ( i am 13 days out) and i was told not to lift mre than 10 pounds for 12 weeks.....i have a 2 year old at home and she has been very helpful, i know change her on her toddler bed because change table to high....she has seen mommies owies and it has not been to bad when she wants up i explain it will hurt mommies tummy....lets go sit down.....my mom has to come over to bath her because i cant lift her out of the tub other than that...if she wants up i sit on the couch and she climbs up....you will be fine...i was terrified when i had my surgery like yourself because i to have young children, (cried the whole way to the operating room) just remember this is going to improve your life, the way you feel and make you healthier...go for it...i am 13 days out and down 14 pounds...you can do it!!!Best thing i have ever done for myself... Best of luck

roundater
on 7/13/11 7:07 am - Lincoln, NE
Even though my doctor put a lift restriction of 10 lbs on me I felt perfectly fine and able to lift by a few days out. Hubby may be able to get Family Medical Leave Act protected leave to help you in lifting your child. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views