pcip insurance ( anyone have it ?)

phatygurl10
on 1/27/13 2:12 pm - CA
RNY on 06/17/13

I am going to be signing up for PCIP in a couple of weeks and I had a question. I know I'm supposed to do the 6 month monitored program, but I'm a little confused. When it says you have to show "failure to lower the body mass index by a medically supervised program" am I supposed to purposely fail at the program so I don't lose weight?

chelsealynn0816
on 2/3/12 2:39 pm - Tracy, CA
 This thread was helpful and super enouraging! I'm in the process of finally getting PCIP and hopefully will start the process of the six month supervised diet plan ASAP and then can hopefully get the surgery by my next birthday (August). I was worried that it was going to be really complicated, but the posts in here have definitely placated my anxiety for a bit. (:
bnowbnow
on 2/29/12 1:36 pm
HI Guys.

I am new to this site and its very helpful, I am about to get on the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance (PCIP) Plan for gastric bypass and my question is what steps did you have to go though with them. As per the policy book all it says that I have to have "documentation of failure to lower the body mass index by a medically supervised program within the last twelve months of diet and exercise of at least six months duration"

My doctor told me that the surgeon should do that and when I called the surgeon they told me that they do not do medically supervised programs. It’s like no one wants help this part.

I was wondering if any one else had the same issue, my doctor did type up a letter stating I had been on diets and failed but not medically supervised program per say.

Has any one had any problems with Pre-Existing Condition Insurance (PCIP) Plan, was the process easy?

Also they told me that they may cover the reconstructive surgery after gastric bypass to help of with the excess skin on be mid section (stomach) that will hang after weight loss.

Thank you.
MindyNTexas
on 4/3/12 2:26 am
Does anyone know if PCIP will pay for a revision ? 
This is very incouraging becuase I had read PCIP has an exculusion for WLS .
If anyone who has gotten the surgery approved could PM me I would appreciate it .

dawnae N.
on 6/30/13 8:35 am - South Jordan, UT
Hi, I am covered under pcip,as of tomorrow. I really want my band out, and revise to ds. Have you gotten an answers from them??
tinapipp
on 7/6/12 8:24 am
 I am in the process of applying for this same coverage. I am excited that it may cover gastric bypass. 
mbprenee
on 2/26/13 2:05 am

I have had pcip since jan of 2013 and I need ankle surgery but the surgeon wont do it until I have lost weight I have tried eating better and I cant get diet pills because of my medical history can anyone tell me is there a way to get around the six month supervision if u need a surgery any info would be appreciatted thanks

Sleeveon13
on 3/21/13 10:55 am - marietta, GA

PCIP will pay for it, I have had this insurance since Aug of 2012 and they have paid for everything that was medical necc

Sleeveon13
on 3/21/13 10:54 am - marietta, GA

I was covered under PCIP in August of 2012 and had to undergo a six month supervised diet plan. After that I submitted for approval on March 6, 2013 and was actually approved on March 21, 2013. My surgery date is April 12. Please feel free to ask me any questions. you can reply to this 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views