3 1/2 weeks out & I think I have strep!!!

Jessica Houston
on 7/24/11 10:01 am - Wichita, KS
Started on Thursday evening with a mildly scratchy throat. By Friday morning my throat was raw & I could hardly get my protien shake in (only drank 3 ounces of the 8). Made an appointment with my PCP's nurse practioner because I knew it would only get worse over the weekend! She said looked like allergies and the sore throat was from postnasal drip. Started me on Allegra D & Flonase nasal spray. I took it Friday night & all day Saturday, but instead of getting better it is getting worse. Not to mention the decongestant in the Allegra makes me feel shaky & like my heart is racing so I was up most of the night last night tossing & turning. I have been running a 99.6 temp most of the day but it spiked a little higher this evening (100.8). I am a believer in letting a low grade temp (under 100.5) run its course because it is there doing what it is supposed to do... fight the infection by making your body a less desirable place to be! However, now I am having the chills & muscle aches that go along with it! Today all I have been able to do is sip water. Attempted some ice cream in hopes it would soothe my throat but 2 bites & I felt nausea setting in! Going to try a popcicle before heading to bed. My question is how far out did you wait to take anything like Nyquil? Plus all the coughing is making my liver area (right side just below the ribcage) hurt worse agin! I did call the surgeon on Thursday and they said that pain was pretty normal for about 3 months out. I am home alone with my 3 kids (ages 14, 9 & 18 months) and don't want to be SO out of it that if the baby wakes up, I don't hear him. My 14 yr old has been amazingly helpful this weekend with the baby! I see the surgeon tomorrow for my final appt with him (he is moving out of state next week!) So I will run all this by him then, and will probably call the PCP tomorrow again!
HW: 245lbs SW:232lbs; CW: 206.2lbs;  GW:125lbs  Height 5ft 2in 

SassyItalian
on 7/24/11 11:07 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
sorry you are feeling ill! A couple of tidbits of advice-

1. when you are sick make sure you drink drink drink, make yourself wake up instead of sleeping for hours straight because it is super easy to get dehydrated when you dont feel well! saying this from experience. 

2. some people report having a bit of a lowered immune system for a few months after VSG- some people never get sick after surgery but me for instance caught every bug known to man- and I did end up having to get fluids at the hospital each tme so stay up on your fluids miss!!!!!!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Jessica Houston
on 7/24/11 11:22 am - Wichita, KS
Thanks for the advice! I didn't sleep much last night, so I did sips sip sip thru the night! Today however has been tough, it hurts so bad to swallow!
HW: 245lbs SW:232lbs; CW: 206.2lbs;  GW:125lbs  Height 5ft 2in 

Candy0081
on 7/24/11 2:51 pm
 I got a partial strep throat infection during week two while on antibiotics.  It was miserable, but after a shot I was so much better!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views