70 Grams of Protein on Full Liquids Stage... Hows That Possible??

Tiffany K.
on 7/28/11 11:38 am - millville, NJ
I am 1 week post op and still on a liquid diet.  My dr days I can have 2 ounces, every 3 hours.  How in the world can I get in 70 grams of protein, in fact how am I prevent dehydration?  If im up 15 or 16 hours a day, thats only about 10 ozs of liquids a day.  Im really confused!!

lovemyboys
on 7/28/11 11:41 am
Wow, yeah something isn't adding up.  By a week out I was getting in 3 protein drinks (4oz each) plus about 30oz of water.  I'd ask for some clarification from your dr or NUT.

P_B
on 7/28/11 11:41 am - Norfolk, VA
I think that's your guide to pace yourself I'm sure you can drink much more just stay paced steadily. Maybe try the clear isopure it's 40g of protein in the whole bottle I'm not sure how many oz or mL it is though

P_B
on 7/28/11 11:43 am - Norfolk, VA
My surgeon recommended the same pace too at our orientation I havnt had surgery yet though so I haunt tested this theory lol

lanunes
on 7/28/11 11:49 am - CA
 My surgeon say's no more then 4 oz in 15 mintues. still it's hard for me to drink that much that quick so it usually takes me 30 mintues or so. There are a few ok protein drinks out there that have higher protein. I usually add a little less water and extra powder to make the protein content higher. Good luck -)
      Leslie Nunes              
Lynn5707
on 7/28/11 12:10 pm - IN
Hi,

You nay want to double check those amounts. I had to be able to take in about 32 oz before I left the hospital. My first week out, I timed myself about every 10-15 minutes to drink an ounce or two of fluids.

Also to get protein in, I mixed my cream soups with milk, drank rtd slim fast or Atkins drinks with a scoop of protein powder. The big thing is though, to get in your fluids.

Let us know how you are doing!

Lynn

Father Don
on 7/28/11 12:44 pm - Charleston, SC
I was taught no drinking 30 minutes before, the 30 minutes during meals, and 30 minutes after.

The rest of the time, you should be constantly sipping water.

Now, remember, protein drinks count as FLUID as well!  So just keep sipping throughtout the day...You'll get proper amounts of protein AND fluid in for the day....

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

mimikay
on 7/28/11 1:01 pm, edited 7/28/11 1:02 am
My doc wasn't concerned about the amount of protein at this stage. He just wanted me to stay hydrated. Let your sleeve heal and the protein # will come. Don't push yourself!
  Kay       HW 219/SW 212/CW 134              
Marcia B.
on 7/28/11 2:59 pm - CA
My doctor and nut said after surgery to not worry about how much protein to AIM for 70 but at first you really just need to ge****er in... I had a lot of water, sipping ALL day, and then I would have chicken broth or beef broth.  I didn't get much in for the first week but I kep****er near me at all times. The doctor said dehydration was what i needed to watch for in the first week because its so easy to get dehydrated.  I would only be able to drink like 2 oz. of protein each time -  Good luck and just stay hydrated and the protein will come...
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Tiffany K.
on 7/29/11 1:28 am - millville, NJ
Thanks for all the imput.  I truly believe that I was dehydrated from not getting enough liquid.  Yesterday I poured myself about 6 oz of water at a time and sipped on it throughout the day.  By the afternoon, my lightheadedness was gone and even today the sour taste in my mouth is slowly going away.  Im sure my surgeon said 2oz every 3 hrs but perhaps I just didnt understand what he meant because i feel sooo much better just from getting in more water!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views