PPI questions

Could_It_Be
on 7/30/11 3:27 pm

Wondering what you take?
How much and how often?

My doc FINALLY gave me protonix and I'm taking 40 mg a day, once a day but it doesn't seem to be enough :(

I'm curious what others are taking,

Thanks!

VSG on 6/22/11
(deactivated member)
on 7/30/11 3:37 pm
How long have you been taking it- it takes 3-4 days to get to full effect.
You also should take it on an empty stomach first thing in the am..

I was on Nexium right after surgery then switched back to my pre-op med dose- 1/2 tab (10mg) of Prilosec with no issues. If Protonix doesn't cut it, try others- one may work better for you than another.

rdd9348
on 7/30/11 4:18 pm - OR
One 20mg Omeprazole DR (generic Prilosec) in the morning and another at night.
Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
KathyA999
on 7/30/11 4:40 pm
I'm taking Protonix 40 mg twice a day, morning and night.  It's the fourth or fifth PPI I've been on in the last year, looking for the one that'll work for me consistently.  By that I mean, you may need to try different ones till you find one that works.

-I took Prilosec OTC for a couple years before surgery.
-Surgeon put me on Nexium, which didn't work, so I switched back to Prilosec.  Surprisingly, it also didn't work.
-Switched to Prevacid OTC, which seemed to work well for several months, until it didn't for some reason.  Had a major acid flare-up.
-So then my PCP put me on Dexilant, which I took in combination with the Prevacid.  Worked OK, but I was taking Pepcid once or twice a day to control particularly acidy periods.
-Landed in the hospital a few weeks ago for an issue unrelated to WLS, and they had me on Protonix IV, which worked really well, so when I was released I had my PCP order it (not IV, of course), and it seems to be working well.

Quite an odyssey, which I hope you don't have to go thru, but try doubling up on the Protonix.  If that doesn't work, get with your PCP and see what else he/she recommends.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Sandy S.
on 7/30/11 9:07 pm
Omeprazole once a day, but like someone else said these meds in general take a few days to build up, so itmay a a few days even more to get the full effect.  Best of luck.

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
SouthernmostStar
on 7/31/11 12:48 am
VSG on 01/25/12

Are heartburn/acid reflux common side-effects of the surgery?

Currently, I don't have any problems in this area.

Just adding to my information so I know what to expect before and after surgery.

Thanks!
Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 2:45 am
Yes, one of the side effects of the sleeve can be an increase in or a new case of reflux.. however it is not very common, but not rare either.. you'd have to pull up a study or two to find the actual numbers..

The vast majority are controlled by PPIs (plus many surgeons put us on them to help healing for 3-6 mo anyway) many get past it, some never do and remain on PPIs and there are rare cases where it is hard to control.
MrsClaus09
on 7/31/11 1:52 am
I took the generic form of Prilosec for the first few weeks after surgery but then I stopped as it wasn't needed.  I had taken it quite some time ago as well for another small issue.  My MD did mention that you need to give it about 2 weeks to really get the full benefit from it.  So, maybe just keep taking it and it'll start working for you.  Keep in mind to have your Vit B levels checked when taking a PPI - PPIs wreak havoc with Vit B.  Good luck!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Could_It_Be
on 7/31/11 3:27 am

Thanks all! This is day 5 so hoping I get some more consistancy. If not will try some others.

Thanks again!

VSG on 6/22/11
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views