VSG vs RNY

StacyAnn07
on 8/1/11 7:13 am - Del City, OK
Up until last night I was 100% all the way going for RNY but I had a dream that really told me to check out the VSG. First off I'm self pay (yuck!) so the fact that its $11,000 cheaper is a reeeeeallly good reason for me to switch my sugery type. I'm also a HUGE sweet eater and my doctor makes it sound like since I like cake and cookies that RNY is my only choice. I know so many people say that they chose the sleeve because they either only had 100 or less than 100 lbs to loose. I am 230 pounds overweight so I have quite a bit more than that to loose! I guess I'm posting to see what everyone here thinks. Why did you choose VSG vs RNY?

USAF Wife
on 8/1/11 7:19 am
The VSG was my 2nd, and final WLS. I could have easily had RNY, but I fought to have VSG as my revision from the band. Some factors I considered in deciding on VSG. The pouch that RNY offers is similar to the pouch with the band. Least to say, a pouch sucks, I love having a normal tummy, just less capacity and still fully functioning.

1) No blind stomach left behind that can be difficult to scope yet can still get ulcers and cancer.

2) 2 years max on calorie/carb/sugar malabsorption, but a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. This process is called adaptation, and it happens with intestinal bypass surgeries.

3) I had a pouch with the band, and it sucked. I'm pretty fond of my pyloric valve and the sleeve let me keep it. I love having a normal functioning stomach, just smaller in capacity.

4) Regain stats and #of RNY patients seeking revision truly scared the poop out of me, check out the revision forum on here. . . Go back several pages and see just how many RNY patients are looking to revise due to weight regain. ERNY and Band over Bypass to get back some malabsorption and/or restriction

5) I have too many friends in real life that struggle with vitamin deficiencies post-RNY, and most of them either never got to goal, or have gained back a significant amount of their weight.

6) The long term complications with RNY were too numerous for my comfort level. Pouch or stoma dilation, strictures, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, ulcers,

7) I researched gastrectomies that had been performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients, and found comfort in the long term results and minimal complications of patients that had lost most or all of their stomachs had dealt with over several years.

8) I was a volume eater, and knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me. That was my thought process when I got the band, and I thought I could beat the odds on complications. Sadly, the band only lasted 8 months before I had to revise.

9) I did not want to have food or medication restrictions. I chose WLS to have a "normal" life, and I think it's normal to eat a couple of cookies. With RNY, I wasn't willing to go through the possibility of dumping if I wanted to have a couple of cookies, or a slice of cake on occasion. The big scare for me is medication restrictions for life. NSAIDS and steroids are a NO GO for life with a RNY pouch. I realize that I may never be diagnosed with a condition or disease that requires steroid use, but it is possible. I want the best long term results with the least amount of complications. Malabsorption is not anything to play with in my mind, and I was not willing to take that risk.

I lost all my weight in my ticker with the exception of 7lbs with the sleeve, and I did it in 10.5 months. The 115lbs fell off the first 6.5 months, and then the rest I lost as I was getting into maintenance over another 4 months.. It's been a fabulous journey, and I'm easily maintaining with zero issues for nearly a year at this point. I want to add that every WLS regardless of your choice will require discipline. Only a percentage of RNY patients dump on sugar/fat, pouches and stomas stretch, then you have the medication restrictions. I'm not trying to convince you, but these were my concerns when I knew I had to revise from the band. I started at 263 the day of my revision and today I weigh 127lbs. I bounce on the scale 125-130lbs any given week, and I couldn't be more ecstatic!

Best wishes in your research!

P.S. I wrote this before pregnancy. And, just as an update, I'm 26 weeks pregnant and thriving. The baby is weighing around 8oz heavier and is measuring right on target for length. I have zero issues consuming enough calories/protein/carbs to support my body and another developing human. My labs have remained stellar throughout the pregnancy, and life is pretty good. I am over 2 years out at this point, and couldn't be happier with my decision to have VSG over RNY for my revision. It's been an amazing journey.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Babs
on 8/1/11 7:28 am - Walker, MI
It is much safer and from what I see and read and have come accross others who have had the sleeve, they lose just as much weight as RNY or other surgeries, plus it is easly revised to Duendol switch if necessary. No lifetime vitamins or rerouting of your intestines. My daughter and hubby had sleeve May 2011 and daughter has lost 90 lbs so far and hubby 72 lbs and daughter wants to lose another 115-150 and hubby another 75 pounds. I have about 100 lbs to lose and am getting revision from band to sleeve on 9-8-11. I choose VSG because is safer and seems you lose just as much and just as fast if not faster than the other ones. Good luck to you on your decision.
emelar
on 8/1/11 7:30 am, edited 8/1/11 7:30 am - TX
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4432543/Why-VSG
Sandy S.
on 8/1/11 7:55 am
I started at 463 and my doc recommended the sleeve over RNY.  I originally chose  RNY but he reported that people are just as successful with the the Sleeve, and the Sleeve is less likely to cause complications. I  loved sweets before the sleeve and I would still love to sit down with a bucket of M&Ms, but I know I can do that, because like pizza I  would overdo it..  Even after the sleeve you still have to say no to the foods that you can't eat in moderation.  Granted the sleeve makes it harder to eat a bucket of M&Ms because I could not eat them all at once.  Now I don't want to go down that path.  I am so happy I chose the sleeve because it works and I had an easy recovery and  am not concerned about any future complications with digestion.  Best of luck with your decision.

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
Dawnie 88
on 8/1/11 9:47 am
LOOK at all the successes on OH with the sleeve...all of us were overweight to the point we needed weight loss surgery..and I'm betting NONE of us got fat eating veggies and fruits.  We ALL love sweets and cookies and cake...YET..we have been successful with our sleeves.

It's simple to avoid these things postop when you just aren't hungry, and you can only eat such a small amount..you don't want to waste your stomach space on cake or cookies.  Life postop is much different than preop.  You'll see. 

patsyannj
on 8/1/11 10:08 am - MI
Dawnie,
Hi, my name is Patsy and I am from Bear Lake, Mi.  Not far from you!  I've been searching for some one near me that has also had the "sleeve" WLS.  Yay!!  I'm so happy I found you.  I would like to chat w/you as I had my surgery 11-15-10.  I have a couple of questions so am hoping you are open to accepting me as a friend?
Dawnie 88
on 8/1/11 10:50 am
On August 1, 2011 at 5:08 PM Pacific Time, patsyannj wrote:
Dawnie,
Hi, my name is Patsy and I am from Bear Lake, Mi.  Not far from you!  I've been searching for some one near me that has also had the "sleeve" WLS.  Yay!!  I'm so happy I found you.  I would like to chat w/you as I had my surgery 11-15-10.  I have a couple of questions so am hoping you are open to accepting me as a friend?
Hi! I sent you a message and accepted your friend request.  I had to look up Bear Lake..as I wasn't sure where it was.  Looks like you are about 3 hours from me.  I would love to chat with you...i sent ya my email addy!

patsyannj
on 8/1/11 10:35 pm - MI
Dawnie,
I am such a novice at this computer stuff and I am having a few problems w/my laptop.  I can't seem to figure out what/where to go to be able to read your complete reply.  I'm sending you my e-mail address so perhaps if you wouldn't mind you can e-mail me? @ [email protected].  Hoping to hear from. 
Poodles
on 8/1/11 10:53 am - TX
If you want a restrictive only procedure the VSG is the way to go.  If you want the malabsorbtion check out the Duodenal Switch over the RNY.  I had the lap band and had to revise.  Since I worked at a bariatric clinic I know WAY TOO MUCH about the RNY, so I would never consider that one.

Follow the links in my signature to learn about all four weight loss surgeries out there.  Learn about the lifestyle you will have to conform to after the surgery and choose which surgery will work best for you.  Then find a reputable surgeon to do it.

Also, there is a program going on that Diana Cox has posted regarding special self pay prices for VSG and DS.  You might PM her if you qualify for WLS (Have the BMI, etc) and see what her Dr. is offering.  It might save you alot of money since you are self pay. 

Good luck with your choice, but really... look at VSG vs DS.

Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views