Pain with the drain??

Steph4575
on 8/5/11 3:04 am - TX
Had my surgery done 3 days ago, and I have some severe pain when I move a certain way right at the incision site of my drain.  I cleaned it today and noticed that the drain is sliding in and out at some points, is that normal?  I can't wait to get it removed!  Still have to wait another 5 days, and when I try to get up from a bed, or try to roll over on my side, it feels like someone is stabbing me in the stomach.  Oy...please tell me that this is normal and that I don't have to go back in...I really don't want to have to go back in if I don't have to.

Thanks.
kimbethin
on 8/5/11 3:12 am - CA
Most of my post-op pain was due to the placement of my drain.  I****ing my diaphragm and the pain made it hard to take a deep breath.  The surgeon didn't like that so he removed it the day after surgery.  I was so happy to see it go!  The sliding in and out sounds like something to tell your surgeon about.  Depending on how much drainage is comong out, he may decide to just remove it.  It felt kind of funny coming out, but I was so happy I didn't care!  If he wants to see you, it will most likely be just a quick office visit.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
raye1976
on 8/5/11 3:48 am
What is this about drains???  This is the first time that I have heard anything about drains with the VSG surgery!!!  Does everyone have these drains with this surgery???  Please let me know.  I was not mentally prepared for this!! 

Waiting on my surgery date!!
raye1976            
Happy Girl
on 8/6/11 6:01 am - CA
I did not have a drain and I did not have a leak test. All docs are different...

5'6"
  Dr.  Gregg Jossart  

Steph4575
on 8/5/11 4:01 am - TX
Thanks, I will give them a call, I am having pain in my diaphram too, and can't wait for the drain to be gone.  I am still having discharge coming out of it though, so he may not want it to come out.  Its a small amount, but its still there and red tinged.

Raye~every Dr. is different, even within the same hospitals.  My friend had her surgery two weeks ago and was also able to get a morphine medicine ball to administer meds to herself through that.  I got stuck with the oral meds....ewwuuwww!  LOL.  I have a drainage tube that is attached to something that looks like a soft clear grenade.  I don't think everyone does have one, but I'm pretty sure most do, but a lot of times dr.s will remove it before you even leave the hospital.  Its just up to your dr.!  If they are going to do it during your surgery, you should know, and if they haven't gone over it, make sure you ask!  =)
walmartian
on 8/5/11 5:08 am
It's not supposed to be 'attached' to your innards so I can see how it would slide a bit. I always held onto my drain incision when I moved around so it wouldn't stick me. If the liquis in the drain bag is mostly clear, you are fine. You will immediately feel a ton better when they take it out--which feels a wee bit weird, but doesn't hurt.

Steph4575
on 8/5/11 5:22 am - TX
It isn't clear for me yet, its still red, but lighter than it was before, so its just a process I guess.
sleeverinKC
on 8/5/11 7:41 am
Honestly the only pain I ever had was where my drain was.  It was so darn annoying!  I counted the days down until I got that thing out.  I had mine for a total of 10 days... I like you couldn't move without it feeling like it was pulling.. I sucked it up though and dealt with it, I never had the pain in the diaphragm that some people have referred to.  Probably wouldn't hurt to contact the surgeon, but mine was pretty adamant under no cir****tances were they removing it early.  :o)  I'm sure if I had some horrible infection they would have, but still...
My Journey to a HEALTHY Mom, Wife, Sister, Daughter, and Friend!!   

Marcia B.
on 8/5/11 7:57 am - CA
I had one in the hospital and it hurt when the nurse would move it she said that clots block the hole so she had to move it. as long as there isn't any difference in the drainage and no fever I don't think you should have to go back in but if you are very worried about it you should call the doctor office.
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Steph4575
on 8/5/11 8:14 am - TX
Thanks everyone, this board has been a lifesaver.  I am going through this mostly by myself and I really appreciate everyone's input!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views