payment to hospital

Danidan
on 8/10/11 4:19 am
 I am somewhat confused on how the payment to the hospital works.  I know that every insurance is different but for you guys that have already had your surgery, did you pay the hospital in full before surgery or did you pay a smaller amount (maybe the deductible) and hospital billed for balance?

I do understand that discussing money is personal, but any information on this would definitely help me understand what to expect.....

Shershe793
on 8/10/11 4:52 am - Blanchard, OK
I had called the hospital the week before to find out what my responsibility was and they didnt call me bac****il the day before surgery.. well my husband and I went to the hospital ready to pay the copay but were never directed to any financial office or asked to pay it.. so I am now just waiting on the bill to come from the hospital and will then pay it. 
 HW 327 CW 231 GW 140 Surgery August 2nd, 2011..                     
colelea613
on 8/10/11 4:55 am - LA
The first thing to find out with your insurance is "Has your deductable been met for the Year?"

I had to pay my doctor $250 up full and didn't have to pay the hospital anything...yet.
I had met my deductable with an early surgery this year. 

You can always call the hospital and see what their billing people have to say? 

Good luck
    Cole

dicastro1010
on 8/10/11 4:58 am - Escondido, CA
I am having surgery in September, but I called and they told me that the full deductible is due the day before surgery. I can pay it earlier than that if I want, but they don't bill for it or anything like that. I have Kaiser (California) and am having surgery at Scripps Hospital. My deductible is only $500- so even though it's a good chunk of change it isn't too too bad.
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

Paige V.
on 8/10/11 5:01 am - Gainesville, FL
They want me to pay the full copayment 2 weeks prior to surgery, 3600!
sarytyr
on 8/10/11 5:14 am - Round Rock, TX
VSG on 02/17/11 with
Mine wanted 1/2 the co-insured amount on the day of surgery but I too was never directed or asked for my payment - turned out, once insurance paid the estimate they gave me before surgery was $900 more than I ended up being billed for.

~*Sandy*~ Ht 5'7" HW 262/SW 254/GW 160/CW 155

kimbethin
on 8/10/11 5:39 am - CA
I received a bill from my hospital for my copay about 6 weeks after surgery.  That was one check I didn't mind writing!  ($250)
putting one foot in front of the other...        
lanunes
on 8/10/11 7:58 am - CA
 My insurance ( Blue Cross) requires that i meet my deductable of $1000.00 and I pay 10% of fees. So most of my testing I paid a percentage until I met the %1000.00 deductable then when I arrvived at the hospital they asked if I could pay $1,500.00. 
      Leslie Nunes              
roundater
on 8/10/11 8:54 am - Lincoln, NE
Only have paid about $200 in bills so far 61 days out. I think the bulk of the bills are being handled by insurance but will see in the coming months.
Rich Sonderegger

BethR311
on 8/10/11 1:26 pm - Fort Wayne, IN
I'm so jealous, my deductible and coinsurance together is $5000!  

Personally I would not pay anyone till after your insurance processes the claim.  Let's say you have a $1000 deductible.  The surgeon wants $250 and the hospital the remaining $750.  You pay them, but the surgeon got his claim in first, so the whole deductible went to the surgeon's bill.  You now may owe your surgeon more money.  In the meantime, the hospital has the $750 you paid them for the deductible that did not get applied to their claim.  You actually need that money back to pay the surgeon.  The hospital will reimburse you, but they may not be in any hurry to do it.

I tell my parents the same thing: pay nothing till all your insurances have considered the claims.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views