Very painful! Is it gas???

browls0
on 8/14/11 12:41 pm
I just had, and have had in the past, pretty severe stomach pain, or in a place that felt like it was in between my stomach and back. This time it was very high in my stomach and started hurting very badly and felt like I was going to bust. I took to gas-x chewables and it did not help. It got so bad that I just had to go lie down. I took a couple of prilosec after lying down, but the pain starting to subside so quickly after lying down (about 5 minutes) that I think it was lying down that helped it, not the prilosec because it wouldn't have had time to work yet. I drank out of a straw today - maybe that was it? But I have done it before and been fine. I am 5 months post-op. Does this happen to anyone else? Do you know exactly what it is, and what do you do about it?
- Autumn

katiedyd
on 8/14/11 1:41 pm
it could be your gallbladder if you still have one.  that is the exact way i used to describe my gall bladder attacks, might be a good idea to call you doctor 
browls0
on 8/14/11 1:47 pm
I still have it. But did lying down make a difference for you? How long did your attacks last?
- Autumn

katiedyd
on 8/14/11 1:51 pm
lying down did help in the beginning because it moved one of my stones out of the bile duct.   i tried all the gasx and stuff too with no releif. for awhile i just stayed away from certain foods but in the end the gallbladder needed to vacate the building.
i used to actually sweat fro the pain and verocity of the quickness
browls0
on 8/14/11 2:00 pm
Thanks, Katie. Even though I am a nurse, I had never even considered that. I just assumed it was related to have a sleeve.
- Autumn

katiedyd
on 8/14/11 2:04 pm
hope it helped.  funny that as nurses we always want to think its something else (and usually downgrade the issue at hand) Glad Im not the only nurse who needs this.  I work with so many tiny people I always feel out of place at work
Cristina S.
on 8/14/11 10:45 pm - New Britain, CT
I had the same pain, it went from under my breastbone and radiated to my back. Mine was related to heartburn (never had problems really before liquid diet and surgery) and after my doctor prescribed Nexium it has subsided. My gas pains felt almost the same but less burning and would go away quicker.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 313 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views