I'm getting hungrier and hungrier

brigitta
on 8/18/11 4:11 am - Germantown, MD
Seems like I'm getting hungrier and hungrier each day.  Can someone tell me how suppress this appetite.  I'm so afraid of  undoing all of my hard work.  I just started working out again yesterday.   I've lost 60 pounds so far but I still have forty more to go.   I am stuck at 201!   I'm doing my best sticking to what I should eat but the portions have gotten a little larger.  Is this normal??  

Lisa J.
on 8/18/11 4:39 am - OK
Part of the reason you were more constricted in the early stages is because you were swollen! A swollen angry tummy just simply can't accept much food. And you survived didn't you? I fed it like a newborn baby, in stages, and allowed for slow progress.

Now you've healed and you can get more food in. It's normal.
However, you didn't say if you were still following the high protein, low carb diet, and how much water you are getting in each day.

Come clean, let's see how much we get to yell at you!

KIDDING! Seriously, though, you have to be honest with yourself and ask if you're doing EVERYTHING that you're supposed to be doing? The biggest reason for hunger is simply lack of water. I know it's hard, but you have to drin****il you don't think you can drink another sip, and then you have to drink MORE. You will nip that hunger immediately and then you can focus on what your healthy meal will be.

I drink 20 oz when I get up right out of bed, 20 oz on the way to work, and then have at least 68 oz (my mug size) at work and then whatever I drink again before I go to bed. It makes ALL the difference.
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
brigitta
on 8/18/11 11:38 pm - Germantown, MD
Ok...start yelling...  I'm not drinking that much water and I have slacked on protein.  As far as eating habits...Sample of my day:

Breakfast:  oatmeal or cheese and egg omlet  (blood pressure med and B-12)
Snack:    yogurt, peanuts, granola, crackers 
Lunch:    chicken, fish, meatballs, crabmeat, shrimp and a vegetable  (MultiVitamin)
snack:     yogurt, fruit
Dinner:   chicken, fish, meatballs, crabmeat, shrimp baked potato, string beans or brocoli  (Calcium)
Snack:  (Here's the real issue)...smoothie with 40 grams of protein but...
                      -handful of popcorn
                      -handful of tortillas
                      -handful of pistachios

Feeling the need to crunch and munch and I can't stand any of those protein bars....they make me gag.

There....I said it....bring on the yelling

Lori B.
on 8/18/11 4:47 am
ok, I'm like a broken record around here so are you on a PPI? Acid can mimic hunger.

I noticed too that around the same time I could eat more. I just keep with protein first and believe me, over a year out it works WELL. I can't fit much other than a couple ounces. But I also DO NOT over stuff my sleeve. I eat til satisfied, not full.

~Lori

~Lori

HW 286.5   GW 155   CW 153
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 4:50 am
Another bit to add, are you logging your calories?  I say this because I have had days I SWEAR i ate a ton, and it was nothing.  I've had days I felt like I barely ate anything but it was too much (prior to surgery, I can't eat much right now still).

But I noticed for instance that about 3+ weeks in, I was getting what I call "low blood sugar" from not getting enough.  I began logging at that poitn I was in the 200-300 calorie range.  I knew I couldn't stay there, i was already back at work and normal activity level.

So I started logging, it got me to be sure I was at least 50g protien (I'm working up to 55 now) and that got me in the 500 calorie range.  Now I've learned that when I get zero carbs - my body goes into major low blood sugar so now I'm making sure I get veggies and a few fruits - has made a huge difference.  So now I'm about 550 calories :)

Log, you may find you aren't eating as much as you think, or it will help you to realize that maybe exercise + you calories = not enough.  If you are exercising a lot and still eating 600 calories a day, that's not going to cut it :)

If you are getting enough and just getting to where your tummy is starting to want to take in more, then by all means focus on protein and water.  See where it goes from there.  I know I'll be on here with the same questions in 6 months LOL!
brigitta
on 8/18/11 11:42 pm - Germantown, MD
I agree and that is what I am going to do starting today.   I'm a mother of 4 and finances has not allowed to me purchase the protein drinks that I can stand to to  drink.  So i'v e been making my own smoothies and using walmart whey protein powder.  So today... I'm getting my drinks and intend on drinking more water and more exercise as well.  Guilty of not exercising too.  I guess I became so comfortable with the weight falling off without having to exercise.

VSG-LessOfMe
on 8/18/11 5:47 am - FL
We had our surgeries a few days apart and just this past week I noticed I feel hungrier too!  So weird!  In between meals is when I notice I feel hungry.  At my meals I eat until I am full and I'm drinking way more water than I ever could before.  I haven't had any issues with head hunger and I thought, oh lord, this must be head hunger or me just wanting to snack.  Been trying to distract myself with other activities so I'm not grabbing cashews out of the pantry, adding in lots of calroies I don't need.  But I'm still losing and am only a few pounds from goal so I try not to worry about it too much.

HW: 260 ~ Start Pre-Op Diet: 248 ~ Surgery Day: 238 ~ CW: 154.8

brigitta
on 8/18/11 11:44 pm - Germantown, MD
Thanks for that It's nice to talk to someone who had their surgery the same time as myself.  I am going to get focused and lay off the peanuts.   A little more protein, water and exercise should do it. 

katier825
on 8/18/11 7:43 am
As time goes by you should be increasing your portions. How much are you eating at a meal? Maybe you aren't eating enough. You should increase some when you workout.

I agree about the water or even other drinks. Sometimes I'm really just thirsty.

Are you tracking quantities of food/water?
brigitta
on 8/18/11 11:48 pm - Germantown, MD
Breakfast:  oatmeal or cheese and egg omlet  (blood pressure med and B-12)
Snack:    yogurt, peanuts, granola, crackers  (only one) 
Lunch:    chicken, fish, meatballs, crabmeat, shrimp and a vegetable  (MultiVitamin)
snack:     yogurt, fruit
Dinner:   chicken, fish, meatballs, crabmeat, shrimp baked potato, string beans or brocoli  (Calcium)
Snack:  (Here's the real issue)...smoothie with 40 grams of protein but...
                      -handful of popcorn (only one)
                      -handful of tortillas (only one)
                      -handful of pistachios (only one)

Somedays.. a little more some days one meal only...I'm a mother of 4 I work seven days a weeks and sometimes things get a little hectic but I am doing my best to focus.  Some days I'm having the shakes I guess from not eating enough meals and some days I feel extraordinary!    One thing is for sure I have no regrets... and the way I feel compared to before...I woulld not be mad if stayed at this weight.  But I'm not settling.   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views