Nine days & Counting

Jacksonsgrandma
on 8/22/11 5:19 am - Kalamazoo, MI
  I refrained from writing my story until now because it seemed like the process was never going to be complete before surgery. Now I am happy to say I am nine days away from getting sleeved.  

I do have some apprehensions because even though the risk of death is like .3%, for that small number it is 100% and I don't want to be part of that club.  But the health risks to remain at such an unhealthy weight far outweigh the risks of the surgery. I know this yet I still find my self a bit worried and scared.

I woke up from back surgery and honestly thought I had died and went to hell it hurt so bad.  Then I realized I was alive and decided I had made a very poor decision, but after the healing and physical therapy I know it was worth it.  The pain was not eradicated and I have lifelong restrictions but it is bearable compared to before the surgery when drastic measures seemed inevitable.  I am hoping this surgery won't be as painful.  I know everybody is different.  I just wish I knew what to expect.  I had a large headed child by mid-forceps rotation delivery (UGH!) and another one by caesarean section.  Both were painful and I haven't forgotten.  I am hoping the pain will be somewhere between my childbirth experiences and the back surgery.  

Any input would be most appreciated.

Jacksonsgrandma
Adrienne J.
on 8/22/11 5:42 am - GA
I had gallbladder surgery about 4 years ago and that was 100 times worse than the sleeve as far as pain goes. I know everyone handles pain different and I. A bit of a a baby, but it's honestly not been that bad.
Jacksonsgrandma
on 8/22/11 11:04 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
Thank you so much for letting me know!  My recollection of my gall bladder surgery is not a fond one.  They never asked me about my aspirin usage before surgery.  I was in so much pain when I was admitted, I didn't think about it and after they gave me morphine I didn't care about anything.  They took me to my room after recovery and had a friend not been there, I would've died when I sat up and felt nauseated.  No roommate.  She got help right away. Fortunately, I had no idea why everybody was running around saying "no pulse" and "no blood pressure". I got the idea there was a problem when the guy at the end of my bed said "If we can't find out where you're bleeding from, we'll have to cut you wide open".  I said "okay".  Apparently I should have been unconcsious but even that didn't shut me up. Good luck to you! I feel better now.

cristalpoppin
on 8/22/11 6:04 am - Austin, TX
Much easier than c section ... I have had little to no pain unless I bend down of sit uP too quickly (10 days post op) was up and walking as soon as I woke up after surgery
Starting weight: 350 Weight at surgery (8/12/11): 320 Long-term goal: lose 200 lbs!

Jacksonsgrandma
on 8/22/11 11:09 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
That is great news, cristal!  I am a 'fraidy cat. I just want to get it over with so even if it takes a while to heal, I'll be doing something positive about my health.  I wish I could just sleep until it's time for the surgery so I didn't have to think about the "what ifs". Hard to eat when you're sleeping, though.  Even harder to prepare the stuff, even though there is very little to prepare.  I LIKE that part.  Little to no pain is amazing to me.  How can the vast majority of your stomach be removed with little to no pain? Who cares?  I hope I'm as lucky as you!  Good luck.  Hope we talk again soon.

mawmawpenny
on 8/22/11 6:43 am - LA
You're right about everyone being different. I just had my surgery 8/18 and I have not needed to take any pain medication or anything for nausea. I can't believe how easy this has been. I only felt a little soreness when I coughed, due to sinus drip and today I don't even feel that. Hope this eases your mind some. Good Luck, try to be calm, things usually aren't as bad as we imagine them. Keep us posted.

Penny

Jacksonsgrandma
on 8/22/11 11:11 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
Thank you for letting me know, Penny.  I am encouraged by your response.  No pain or nausea is my goal.  I wonder what kind of restrictions they will give me.  Like don't lift more than X number of pounds, etc.
You have eased my mind some and I appreciate your response.  Hope we talk again soon.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views