Revision Appt with SSM Depaul STL/Dr. Morales

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/1/11 3:45 am, edited 11/7/11 8:52 pm - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I decided to meet with Dr. Morales at SSM Depaul. We discussed my current situation with the Realize band and slips/prolapses, etc. and talked a great deal about revision.

Dr. Morales is wonderful!! He is a very thorough, listens to what I was saying, and was just overall a breath of fresh air...that I REALLY needed!! By the time I left, we had spent 30-45 minutes discussing my band issues, revision possibilities, complications, etc. He used the paper sheet on the exam table as his drawing board and it was full of pictures, rates of success/complication, things to think about, etc. I was very impressed and have left there feeling very hopeful. The coordinator is planning to submit my revision paperwork into insurance later today!

I was very impressed with how many sleeves they have done. Well, at least to me, it sounds like a good number....400. They have done 200 revisions, which I think was a combo of RNY and Sleeve revisions. He said they haven't had any problems with leaks with sleeves, that he knows of since he moved to that practice 2 1/2 years ago, but of course stated that is always a possibility of occuring. Their office has a therapist/counselor on staff, dietician, set programs... I am just really excited about the whole program and the opportunities they offer.

Just wanted to share the experience I had today. I will be anxiously awaiting what insurance says! Thanks for reading.

Amy

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

mallrat
on 9/1/11 9:45 am - St Peters, MO
Hi Amy,

Am so glad you got in to see Dr. Morales. He is great about explaining things and taking time with you to answer all your questions. Never seems rushed. As you know, I am one of his band to sleeve revisions, and I did not have any problems, He was actually the main surgeon on my revision and Dr. Scott assisted, since they do all their revisions together I just never changed my surgeons name on here. The office staff is very friendly and helpful and they have a great overall program. I go in next Tues for my 1 year followup appt, a few weeks late, My anniversary date was 8/18,  Hard to believe its been a year already.

Hope you get your approval  soon,  As soon as you get your approval, they will set you up for an all day pre surgery class, and you will get all your preop testting done the same day.  They allso give you your surgery date that day.  Good Luck!!!!

Sherry
Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/1/11 11:10 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Thank you. I really appreciated your input...it made my decision much easier to switch and talking to him today, it just confirmed everything you said. My husband said tonight that he is so glad to see me hopeful and not frustrated about all of this after today's appointment. For the last several months it has really been frustrating, so it looks like we are on plan for some progress now. Hopefully insurance won't be a stumbling block and things will proceed fairly quickly.

Theresa mentioned he has been using a different surgeon during most of his revisions now, but still has Dr. Scott in sometimes too. I am not sure what to think about that, but am just going to see how everything progresses and will ask more details about that later. I would probably feel more comfortable having both Dr. Scott and Dr. Morales there if it is possible.

Did you have to do the Back on Track program? They aren't requiring I do it before surgery, but they would like me to complete the 6 weeks sometime over a 3 month time frame in the near future. I think it a good idea and plan to start that soon.

Congrats on your one year!! I am sure the time has flown by! Thanks again for your feedback, it is so nice to "talk" with someone who has been in the same situation before and has first hand experience with SSM.

Amy

mallrat
on 9/1/11 12:43 pm - St Peters, MO

You're welcome.  Glad everything went so well for you.   Thought you would like Dr. Morales  He definitely doesnt have a surgeon attitude like a lot of them do.   Dr. Scott never spent much time with me and always seems rushed,  even thought he did 2 of the 4 surgeries I had and assisted Dr. Morales on my revision.  I dont know who the new surgeon is that is helping Dr Morales, but I'm sure hes good, because it toook them a long time to get Dr Morales in there, they were extermely picky about who they brought in.   Dr. Scott has been around longer and has a great reputation as a surgeon, but after having dealt with Dr. Morales I would have total confidence in him , with another surgeon helping him,  He really knows his stuff.   Everything he told me was right on. I think if you really wanted Dr Morales and Dr Scott together, if you tallk to Theresa, she would try and work something out.  It might just take longer to get a surgery date, iif they have to work it out with both their schedules.

I dont know what the Back on Track program is .  Must be sometthing new.  The last time I was there was in February for my 6 month appt.  They want you to come in yearly at least for 5 years.  It probably isnt necessary, but I will do it.  I asked Christin, the nurse practitioner, who yoiu will see fo your follow up visits, after your 1 week post op if I really needed to come once a year, and she said they like you to, to see how you are doing and since they are a Center of Excellence

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/1/11 9:39 pm - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I think Theresa said a fellow was assisting him, so not really another full out surgeon in their department. I could have heard that wrong though too. We will see how it goes. I feel like I will have total confidence in Dr. M, so it would probably be okay either way.

At first they thought I would need to complete the Back on Track program, 6 weeks, before surgery. But Dr. M said it wouldn't be required b/c I have a mechanical failure, not me failing. It is a set of 6 weeks of classes...nutritionist, exercise, counselor, etc. They want me to do it, but doesn't all have to be done before surgery, which is good, b/c that could of ended up being a time contraint. But I think the classes will be a good experience, so I am very open to it.

I wondered how often they wanted to see patients back. It makes sense...and is good to hold people a little bit accountable too. Also, otherwise they have no idea how their overall patient success is.

Hope everything goes well at your appt next week.

Amy

Dawn C.
on 6/5/12 9:54 pm - St Louis, MO
Hi Amy,

i know this is an older post, but I was just wondering how your revision went? Were you able to have Dr. Scott in the operating room to assist Dr. Morales with the revision?

Another poster mentioned that Depaul's Weight Loss Institute's' fellow might be assisting instead of Dr. Scott.  The fellow's name is Dr. LeGrande (sp?). From my experience, Dr. LeGrande is competent but still needs to work on his bed side manners.  Don't get me wrong, Dr. LeGrande is nice; he's just not as personable as to Dr. Morales.  If you had any interaction with Dr. LeGrande, what were your impressions of him?

I hope you were able to have your revisions and are successfully losing weight again.  And most importantly, I hope you had no complications and are happily and healthly living your life to the fullest =)

Cheers,
Dawn
gingerbread399
on 11/27/12 2:08 am
VSG on 12/04/12
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 261 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op