Finally feeling somewhat normal and craving...

Steph4575
on 9/2/11 4:31 am - TX
So after finding out that I am not in fact, crazy.  That I had a blood clot in my liver that was causing all of my pain.  I am finally starting to feel more normal, on the lovenox shots, and coumadin.  I finally have somewhat of an appetite again, and I'm craving PASTA!  Obviously, I know that I am to stay away from white carbs, and especially pastas, rice and breads, but I'm all of the sudden craving them.  I haven't had a craving since before my surgery on 8/2.  So my question is, how do you deal with cravings?  I'm too soon out to really have anything that can act as a substitute yet, but I am all about going for the whole wheat pastas later on when I'm allowed to eat them.  For now, I'm still on softer foods.  So what do you do about cravings like this?!  I can't wait to start eating more normal foods again and hopefully getting more into a groove.  For now, I'm stuck with cottage cheese, ricotta, refried beans, steamed veggies, and soups are easy to handle.  I am super grateful for my sleeve, since being admitted to the hospital I've actually gained two lbs, probably from the saline, and the fact that I have an appetite again, but overall, I've lost almost 40 lbs in a little over a month.  Its so very exciting to see all of these changes, and I'm totally commited to my new lifestyle.  Just curious about how others deal with cravings?
Thanks for the input!

Lisa J.
on 9/2/11 5:16 am - OK
I was a pasta/bread nut, so I completely know what you mean. Though, fortunately I never got the cravings til after a year out or so.

Try this: If you like the taste of lasagna and spaghetti, try doing very thick tomato sauce (with hamburger or sausage too) with ricotta cheese, melt it and you'll probably never miss the pasta part!! I know there's a great recipe for these little tasty buggers probably on eggface but don't know the website--surely someone here does.

I can tell you this, having WLS is all about trial and error when we're coming up with new stuff to eat that's good for us. The flavor is what we're truly craving....and I'll bet dollars to (sorry) doughnuts that you'll be completely satisfied without the pasta!!!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
CoolBeans
on 9/2/11 5:25 am - MD
 I think you are probably talking about Shelly's Ricotta bake. It is on her pureed foods page. I made up a few of these and they certainly helped me through my mushies stage (which I am just finishing now): theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html

Cari    
kimbethin
on 9/2/11 6:39 am - CA
I know it sounds crazy but when I was having cravings I would get on the message board and read every post until the craving passed.  A lot of people call those cravings at this stage head hunger, but they are really difficult to get through!  Thank you OH!  Even stanger, I don't have cravings like I used to.  I mostly stay away from carbs.  I'm doing great on solids but that ricotta bake sounds awesome.   So glad you found the cause of the pain and it is being resolved.  Good luck!   Looks like you are doing great so far!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Steph4575
on 9/2/11 1:53 pm - TX
Thanks everyone for the replies, I will definitely try the ricotta bake. I am finding that I'm a lot more hungry since things have been figured out, and I feel better. I'm still taking an acid reducer, but starting to wonder about my new found hunger. I'm 4 weeks out, and haven't had any hunger up until now, I still can't eat much, but I'm hungry. Head hunger? Or just hunger? Hmm..anyway, thank you very much!! =)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views