Your experience two weeks out?

Happy966
on 9/11/11 10:14 am

Hi guys - I am going to be 2 weeks out tomorrow, and I'm on a full liquid diet until my 2-week follow-up tomorrow, when I'll be cleared for mushies.  I have not had any trouble getting in my water (at least 64 oz a day), I can drink easily, although I'm sure not chugging.  I take my time with the protein - about 30 minutes for 8 ounces.  I was cleared to swallow pills and I'm not having in trouble.

Except that I've been easily satisfied on 600-ish liquid calories (70 g protein), I don't feel there's anything different.  Have some of you guys had this experience?  When I spoke to my surgeon to clear me for returning to work, he assured me he had indeed removed 90% of my stomach.  I assume I'll feel the restriction with solid foods?  I have 3 weeks of mushies/soft foods after this.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

percheron
on 9/11/11 10:29 am
Hi.  I am 1 day behind you and when I went in last Thursday, my NUT moved me on to mushies even though I was only 9 days post surgery.  But I have been very lucky and had zero problems from the moment I woke up from surgery.  I have done really well so far.  I am very careful to not overeat but I don't think I could if I tried. 

I have 1 scrambled egg and 1 low fat string cheese for breakfast then 1 protein shake for snack and then 1/4 cup cottage cheese for lunch.  I have been good/full until supper and have been having 1/4 cup cottage cheese and tuna or chicken finely chewed and cut tiny.  Then about an hour later have my other protein shake.  I was told 64 ounces of water too and have been able to do it without problems.  

I hope you do well, and enjoy the flavors you have missed for a few weeks.  My first bite of cottage cheese was heaven!!  

My NUT did tell me that if I had any upset stomach, throwing up or problems to go back to clear fluids for the rest of the day.  So far, I'm good.  Day 3 1/2 on mushies. 

Good luck and tiny bites, tiny bites...  lol  They suggested I go buy a baby spoon.

Happy966
on 9/11/11 10:49 am

Thank you!  I bought 2 baby spoons (one for home and one from work).  I am nervous because liquids have been so easy, I sometimes catch myself drinking without thinking.  Don't want to do that with food!

Yes, I have been lusting after cottage cheese.  Can't wait!

Elaine2
on 9/11/11 10:29 am, edited 9/11/11 10:34 am - Atlanta, GA
Sounds to me like you're having a great recovery. Plus BRAVO for being able to get in the fluids and the protein.

I think you'll start to feel restriction with soft foods---maybe mushies but I ate so little of those I really didn't notice (I did 2 weeks of soft after 2 weeks of mushy). But don't pu**** Go really slow as there's no need to eat until you're full and feel it. You'll know!!

Continue on--you're doing fine!! Congrats.

Edited to add----Both of you above---sounds like you're doing a good job!!

Happy966
on 9/11/11 10:32 am

Thank you - I'm not usually a worrier, but this is new territory.  It's been a nice recovery, that's for sure!

mama2girls
on 9/11/11 10:31 am, edited 9/11/11 10:31 am
I had the same experience, but trust me when u start eating food u will definitely feel the restriction. When I was on liquids they went down so easy and still do but food is different and sometimes its frustrating cuz I wish I could get more than 4 bites in lol. Gl!

HW:409  SW:328 CW:185-190 GW: 190, lowest wt:165;

GS Surgery date 8/9/11

Body by Sauceda born 12/9/16

"I'm working on myself, for myself, by myself"

Happy966
on 9/11/11 10:33 am

Oh good.  Believe me, I'm glad I can get the fluids in.  It'll be an exciting year ahead, for sure.

Birdie55
on 9/11/11 10:49 am
You are doing very well.  I think I had a LOT of swelling.  It was about a month before I could get all my fluids in and the first 2 weeks, I could only drink maybe a total of a quart of protein drink and water.  I couldn't gulp for months.    I had a lot of restriction with fluids and then with mushies too.  

Do you know what size bougie your surgeon used?  If it's a small one (mine was a 32) maybe you have a longer stomach or less swelling than I did.   You're lucky.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Happy966
on 9/11/11 10:50 am

I have a 34f.  I hope that's small enough!

Mrs.Goose
on 9/11/11 3:04 pm

Since I have not had any problems getting in my liquids and protein I also worry that my surgeon didn't remove as much as he should have.  I am almost 3 weeks out and have been able to eat the cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, protein drinks and blended soups without any issues. 

I was unaware that there are different size "bougies".  When I follow up with my surgeon the Wednesday I am going to ask him what size he used. 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 239 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views