Lapband removed and get VSG at same time - ANYONE?

evlanspice
on 9/12/11 11:27 am
What kind of scope did you have to have done?  I am preparing for the same lap band removal to VSG and my doctor has ordered an esophageal manometry.  I am looking for someone else who has had this who can give me a true answer about how it is.  I've been told NO sedative or anything because you have to be able to swallow, so I am not sure how well I will tolerate the tube up my nose and down my throat
BuckeyeGirl
on 9/12/11 3:58 am - TN
I had my band removal and VSG done all in one procedure.

Best of luck,
Lindsey

Babs
on 9/12/11 4:00 am - Walker, MI
Had lap band May 05 and had similiar issues with puking when trying to get more adjustment to lose more, only lost about 40 pounds with the band and then gained most of it back. Band removed and sleeved on 9-8-11 and after only 4 days feeling really good.

Taking band out only added about 30 min to my surgery also. My docs office is a center for excellence for WLS and I believe practice has only lost 1 patient in 15 or so yrs they have been doing it. They really know their stuff they are good. Not sure why they would want to take band out and then go back in again to do sleeve, but they all do things differently.

Daughter & hubby were sleeved May 2011 & daughter is down 125 lbs and hubby 90 lbs and they both have another 120 lbs to go. Sleeve is nice and can be altered to DS down the road should you need revision. I am glad band is gone. Good luck yo you.
I can do it, I can do it, chugga, chugga, chugga said the little train! Thank you Lord for giving me the strength!    
edelu
on 9/12/11 4:39 am, edited 9/12/11 4:39 am - los angeles, CA
I had it done in the one procedure, Aug 1st.  Easy recovery. No problems Except for slow weight loss.
shelliwi
on 9/12/11 5:49 am - Sheldon, WI
I am having my lap-band removed and the sleeve done at one time next week. My doctor does it as one operation unless there is trouble with erosion or really bad scarring. Good luck with you decision. Thankfully, my insurance covered both operations.
Shelli

High-245 /Lapband-229/Sleeve-175/Current-173/Goal-150   band 7-14-09 revision to sleeve 9-20-11  Shelli from WI                 

mallrat
on 9/12/11 9:20 am - St Peters, MO
I had 2 lapbands and was able to have my revision to vsg at the same time the second band was removed, even though I did have a lot of scarring.  I think it depends on your doctor, whether or not they will do in one surgery or 2.  Some doctors prefer to remove the band and let you heal for a while before doing the vsg.
suerod9999
on 7/22/12 6:12 am
 Why do you think the weight loss is so slow?  I had LB on 4/3/10 and lost 80 pounds then plateau.  I have have problems with vomiting and now considering VSG.  My doctor wil only do revision during surgery if not lots of scarring otherwise it has to be two surgeries which I really don't want.  I exercise like crazy anywhere from 5-10 x's a week but still can't lose weight.  I thought maybe my diabetes returned since I started gaining about 15 pounds back.  A1C was borderline.  I pay for personal training, I tried accupuncture, I changed my diet still no luck.  I'm worried the VSG may not work and I need to loose another 60lbs.  My surgeron said maybe I'll get 40 out of this revision.  I'm confused if it will be worth it? Or should I have him refill my band and start over with the liquid diet for two weeks like I just got the band and maybe loose the 40 lbs this way.  Please I need help.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/12/11 11:31 am - Tuvalu

Pumpkin just had that done a couple of months ago. 
AnnMarie
on 7/22/12 2:51 pm
VSG on 04/10/12
I had the revision from band to vsg in one operation also--I did have to sign off that doing the procedure increased complication risk to 6-7%. I had extensive scarring which involved the band, liver, stomach, diaphram. Apparently it was pretty tedious work per my surgeon's lips and his op note! lol! but it all worked out just fine. I do not believe that the scarring would have been there if I had not had multiple previous surgeries to correct long term chronic infections from my first surgeon's lack of sterile field when flipping my port in his exam room (multiple times) so, anyway--since I started my pre op diet at the end of March, I have lost a little over 60 lbs. I'm pretty happy with that at the moment Good luck to you!

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 89 views