Am i failing :( almost 2 months post op

chunkymonkey1991
on 9/20/11 3:43 am
 Hey everyoneee. so long story short. i lost really fast right after surgery, down 18 pounds during my two weeks of liquid and by the end of the first month I was down about 30 pounds. my 2nd month surgiversary will by october 4th and i'm only down 33. i've been trying to focus on eating protein foods, chicken, beef, cheese, yogurt - but i haven't tracked my intake. i've also been eating some carbs - mostly a few rice cakes here or there when i really want carbs. I've been walking a lot and did a few spinning classes over the past few weeks. i wonder if my stall is partly because of nutrition or because I'm gaining back some muscle i lost by not being active pre- and/or post- surgery. is this a normal stall, am i a slow loser, or what? i'm nervous i'm screwing this up!
Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

felicity2u
on 9/20/11 3:55 am - LA
 How many carbs are you taking in each day, how much protein and water are you getting in and how many calories are you eating?  In the losing phase, it is best to stick under 45 carbs a day and I really don't like to eat anything high and carbs because then the I find the carb monster comes back, best just to stay away from them completely during the losing phase besides those few a day! It can really hinder you weight loss!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

jennifer K.
on 9/20/11 4:18 am - OH
at this stage you really should be tracking what you are eating and measuring - you may be taking in more calories/fat/carbs then you realize. I use myfitnesspal.com. It has an app that I can use on my phone to make it easy. good luck - you are doing fine - a loss is a loss and you are getting healthier everyday based on your decision to have the VSG - keep up the good work!
Jennifer
HW:330, Class W: 300  SW: 279 (7/13)
1m: 257 - 22 lbs/ 2m: 241 - 17 lbs/ 3m 231 - 10 lbs/ 4m  221 - 10 lbs/ 5m 210 -11lbs

SassyItalian
on 9/20/11 4:28 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
track  and measure your food. its really important. this way you know exactly what you are eating.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

jbskaggs
on 9/20/11 5:17 am - holt, MO
 Also realize sometimes wl just stalls for a while then starts up again.  Your body is extremely complicated chemically and it is readjusting to the new way you live.

Keep your carbs low and calories below a 1000 and you should lose.

CoolBeans
on 9/20/11 6:34 am, edited 9/19/11 6:36 pm - MD
Hey, as you probably remember, we had surgery on the same day. I am only down about 35 starting with presurgical weight loss. So I don't think you are far off where I am. I had the annoying 3rd ( 4th and 5th) week stall, so it is starting to move again now.

I have to say I love using myfitnesspal for tracking. It is super easy and it is reassuring to know that you are getting the "right" numbers. At the end of the day if my protein is low I know I need to add some more in somehow, and that is happening less and less, so it is really helping me plan things out.

I don't think you are "failing," but like the others have said if you keep track you can see how well you are doing. And knowing you are doing well, can help you keep faith that things are going to come back in line with the scale.

As for the carb cravings, my NUT doesn't have the 40 grams or less carb recommendation (though I usually am pretty close to that) but she does encourage complex (high fiber) carbs and so you might want to look for an alternative to the rice cakes that has more nutritional value. We don't have a lot of room in there now, so making sure that what does go in is something we "need" is pretty important.

Good to see you and good luck with everything.
 Cari    
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 12:04 am
Sorry that you feel down regarding your weight loss.  I will agree with everyone who has previously posted that it is important to track everything that goes into your mouth right now.  I have never been one to measure my food but it actually helps.  By using any online site you can make sure you are getting the 70 grams of protein daily.  As for me, my NUT does not have the low carb requirement but my weight loss is more successful if I keep it at 50 grams or less.  My protein is always 65 grams or higher.  Other advice is to check the times you are eating and notice if you are pre-occupied with other activites like work or watching TV. 

I have made it my goal to make sure I get my 10,000 steps or roughly 5 miles of activity daily.  Invest in a good pedometer to find your activity level.  I continue to wish you well.

coming up on 8 weeks.

chelle

chunkymonkey1991
on 9/21/11 2:17 am
 i've been using myfitnesspal since the beginning to track my weight but starting today, i'm using it to track my food. it's weird, now that i ca eat so little, whatever i do eat feels like a lot. i'm so  used to finishing a meal and thinking "wow i ate a lot" that that feeling has transferred even post op, even though it's not true. i'm not really going to change how i've been eating for the last month and a half but now that i'll be tracking it, i'll see exactly what my calorie/carb/protein intake is and i can tweak it from there. i have a sneaking suspicion that my problem is a stall, because i'm simply not eating enough calories to maintain 222 pounds... plus i went from almost no exercise in the month of august to about an hour of walking a day (i'm in college and i'm very busy, it takes 10-15 minutes to get anywhere) plus taking cycling classes- so i really might be putting on muscle which isn't making the scale move down. wish me luck! i'm so nervous (hopefully irrationally) that i'm done losing weight. only 90 pounds to go!!
Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views