herinia and vsg

mooosie
on 9/23/11 1:42 am - CT

what would be a reason for notb doing a hernia repair at the samebtime as vsg?  so many of you had both....also, anyone wantto talk to me @ dr duffy at yale u?

i am self pay for this. 

anninva
on 9/23/11 2:28 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
had them done at the same time.  doc didn't bat an eye when i asked him to do them both.  shouldn't be a problem but if doc is saying no, i would ask why.

good luck!!!!!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

stacezoe
on 9/23/11 3:55 am
Mine found a hernia while i had my pre-opp endoscopy, so he fixed that, took out my galbladder and gave me my sleeve! 3 for one! A heck of a lot better than going into the hospital 3 seperate times!
 Inspiration move me brightly...Grateful Dead Terapin Station
  HW 286 SW 279 CW 231 40y/o 5'10  Month 1-17, 2-7#, 3- 7#, 4-3#,5-3#      
PluggingAlong
on 9/23/11 4:14 am
 I had a failed mesh hernia repair about a year before my VSG. I have 2 large abdominal hernias and a "swiss cheese" defect that will need major abdominal reconstruction when all is said and done. The reason your doctor might not do the hernia repair at the same time as the VSG is fourfold.  If you are prone to hernias the surgery itself can cause a hernia and you will likely need another repair anyway after the VSG. Second, if you are a candidate for a mesh repair (as opposed to the traditional just sew it up kind of repair) then you will get a more permanent and better repair AFTER you lose weight. The shape of your abdomen and size of your insides will be different after you lose weight and the closer they can make the mesh to the defect the better for a long term repair. Third, if you need a mesh repair they will not do it because the likelihood of the mesh getting infected because of cross contamination from cutting into your gut (stomach) is extremely high (mesh is a prosthetic and can easily be rejected by your body - as mine was). Finally, the weight of your body affects the stress on a hernia repair (mesh or traditional) and it can cause the repair to fail and make the defect even larger. My hernias are SIGNIFICANTLY worse after my failed repair than before and now I can't have another mesh repair and will need abdominal reconstruction which is done as an open surgery and will be unbelievable painful (I understand) as they will be cutting most of the muscle in my abdomen. 

Hope that helps and good luck.

Consult Weight-323 / SW- 312 / CW-173/ GW-155
Starting BMI: 65.2 Current BMI: 34.9

NOCRN
on 9/23/11 5:23 am - CA
i was sleeved on tues, and the dr found a small hernia. it was repaired at the same time with 2 stitches.  i was home by wednesday, and so far so good. 
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 221 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 301 views