Kidney stones?

Miss_eye
on 9/26/11 12:55 pm - CA
I passed a kidney stone for the first time in my life on Friday night. I thought I was dying, and it did not help that the doctor at the ER was incompetent and could not diagnose me. I found out when I got home and discovered the stone. That was weird.

Anyway, I called the RN today for my surgeon and asked her what caused it. She said that kidney stones are "not related at all" to weight loss surgery. I'm skeptical, I called my PCP four times today and he never called me back, so I'm asking you guys.

Do you get kidney stones? Does the surgery cause them (I'm four weeks out, it can't be that much of a coincidence)? What can I do to prevent them?

I'm trying to drink as much water as I can, but I can only take in so much.

Thanks, I always appreciate all of your help.

HogRider
on 9/26/11 12:59 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Kidney stones take awhile to form. RN is probably right that the WLS didn't cause it.
C. Champion
on 9/26/11 1:46 pm - Minneapolis, MN
I just went to the ER last night with a sever bladder infection and they told me to watch for any pain in my back incase of kidney problems but they never mentioned stones.
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

califsleevin
on 9/26/11 2:39 pm - CA
Kidney stones can result from a calcium deficiency or imbalance which is more common with the RNY and DS people because of absorption issues with those procedures, but can happen with us if we don't stay on top of our calcium intake, though I wouldn't expect to see that happening so soon after surgery unless something had been festering for a while pre-op.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Miss_eye
on 9/26/11 3:48 pm - CA
Thanks, that does really help. I'm going to have an ultrasound on Friday if all goes well and see if there are any more "up there."
Songcatcher
on 9/26/11 6:40 pm
When I had kidney stones removed they put me on a diet that I had to abstain from eating certain foods that cause an increase in uric acid.  You might ask about that. 
Msmuland
on 9/26/11 7:06 pm
I had a kidney stone about 6 weeks out of surgery. I thought I was dieing too. I was laying on the ER floor crying. I know it was hard to get down liquids and I was taking calcium. I think because of our surgeon put us on the same plan as maybe a bi pass patient they forget that we can still absorb vitimins. I have had 2 ever since. I believe it was a mix between to much calicum I was taking and not drinking enough water. I am 26 years old and never had a kidney stone until right after surgery I dont believe on bit it doesnt have something to do with it. My friend had one a couple week after and she is a bypass patient and we are both younger. My surgeon said If u take tums though it will help filter the calcium to your intestines instead of your kidneys and it will go out that way instead of though the kidneys. I havent had one since. So it might be something u wanna try!!

Miss_eye
on 9/27/11 5:20 am - CA
I'm sorry, take turns doing what?

Msmuland
on 9/27/11 5:53 am
? I am not sure if this is for me. But Taking Tums the stomach med helps the calicum go into your intestines then into through your kidneys.
Miss_eye
on 9/27/11 6:10 am - CA
Haha, my bad. I read "tums" as "turns."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 146 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 421 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 439 views