Wk 2 weigh-in: Losing the regain fast. Carb rampage.

Kellawanda
on 9/28/11 5:59 am
VSG on 06/04/09 with
Im losing way faster than I expected...another 3.5 down this week. So Ive lost 6.5 of the 10 I regained. Im doing this by eating around 1400 calories per day and eating a very balanced diet - a certain amount from each food group per day. Watching the sweet intake.

Video update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pISUE8v40OA

Does it surprise you that I can eat 1400 and lose? Dont be surprised. I also dont track my carbs but I know I eat well over 100 grams a day. Im not the self proclaimed guru but I have more education on these topics than many people here...and I admit one reason I dont come on these boards is the bad information passed around....people who think that for the rest of their lives they can only eat 700 calories per day and less than 40 carbs...that breaks my heart...trading one eating disorder for another.  People need to educate themselves and not grab random numbers because somebody else on the board told them it was what they were supposed to do. We all had/have eating disorders here - just because we had some operation that made us skinny on the outside didnt fix the problem inside in our heads unless we did the work to fix it and educate ourselves on proper nutrition and eating habits.

We eat 400 to 600 a day in the beginning because its all we can physically consume. One day you will be eating over 1200 and be able to maintain. Generally I eat around 1700 to 1800...my doctor wants me to increase that to 2200 but I told her I feel fine at 1800. When you mess with your metabolism by doing fad diets (such as low carb) you suffer consequences. If God and nature didnt intend for us to get the majority of our calories from carbs.....WHY are fruits and vegetables the main food source that the earth provides for us??? WHY do certain body systems ONLY function by burning carbs as their fuel source...such as the brain and central nervous system. Remember feeling a little cloudy headed on low carb? Cuz your BRAIN wasnt getting what it needed.

Dont fear eating a piece of fruit and a vegetable or two because "it will put me over 40 carbs." Fear eating the carbs that come from processed food like cookies, cake, pasta, bread. And no Im not against bread. Or cookies! In moderation from whole grains they can be great.

I imagine most people on here arent even sure what a carb is. Im going to help you understand...there are 3 types of calories. Carbs, fat, and protein. A calorie is a unit of energy that our body needs. Thus, carbs are energy. Carbs are fuel. Your car needs fuel right? So are you going to put in the good gas that it needs or the bad gas thats all clumpy and watered down? You wouldnt put crap fuel into your car...dont put it in your body. But regardless...it still needed fuel. Dont tell me you cant eat fruit and veggies because it puts you over your carbs.

Wasnt meaning to **** anyone off but people need to hear the truth. Let the flaming begin lol.........woooo
www.youtube.com/kellawanda <---check out my vlog of my progress

VSG 6/4/2009: I'm 5'4",   HW 242,   SW 234,   CW 155.  Size 6 generally.

PS with Dr. Agha 5/14/2012 - LBL, Arm lift, fat transfer to (_:_) 
Kate1106
on 9/28/11 6:04 am - NJ
 I love this post.  My doctor does NOT want me to eliminate carbs.  He said the same things you did.  He said, just HEALTHY carbs.  

Kellawanda
on 9/28/11 6:06 am
VSG on 06/04/09 with
Your DR sounds smart and you look amazing :)
www.youtube.com/kellawanda <---check out my vlog of my progress

VSG 6/4/2009: I'm 5'4",   HW 242,   SW 234,   CW 155.  Size 6 generally.

PS with Dr. Agha 5/14/2012 - LBL, Arm lift, fat transfer to (_:_) 
91Annie15
on 9/28/11 6:11 am - CA
 You both look amazing!  And I agree, too.  It's all about balance (in my not-so-humble-opinion).
-AA   
Paige V.
on 9/28/11 7:09 am - Gainesville, FL
Can I just say how much I love this post and video? I never had this surgery with the intention of giving up veggies or fruit, in fact it is part of my plan. Right now I am pretty much living on fruit baby food (lol)...At month 6 I start adding in a whole grain carb serving a day and then at goal I can have three servings a day. Totally do-able =)..
Anyway, only appreciating and no flaming here....

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

USAF Wife
on 9/28/11 7:22 am
I haven't seen any posts, and I admittedly might have missed them, where anyone says that we should live on low calorie/low carb for life. There are some people who are carb sensitive due to other conditions, and they have to adjust their diet per their own health issues.

You also workout way more than some of us, even in maintenance, I do not need hoards of carbs for energy, and they make me feel horrible. I don't care if it's whole wheat/whole grain/fruit, I get carb coma when I eat a bunch of them so I still have to eat those items in moderation.

It's what works for my body. I eat pretty liberally in maintenance, and indulge in a lot of foods other people forbid, but that's because they HAVE to do it because of their food issues, and their personal health.

I'm not saying carbs are bad or that they should be eliminated for life. What I think is important is that each of us has our own demons, and while it might not afffect you negatively to consume more than 100gr of "healthy" carbs per day, it might be very detrimental to someone else. Especially, those of us, who do not work out or have a formal exercise program of our daily/weekly life.

I think it's a fair assessment of the advice given and received on this forum. To do what is best for you and your body.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 107 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views