hiatal hernia=no sleeve??

dawn S.
on 10/6/11 10:20 am - NJ
Help!!  I had my endo yesterday and my sleeve is scheduled for tuesday 730. The  GI doctor noted an approximate 2 cm hiatal hernia.  My surgeon, who I trust and think is a perfect choice, feels that if it is larger she will have to switch me to bypass..OMG  i am so confused now.  I had my heart set on the sleeve now there is a 20% chance of bypass.  Did anyone have  a hiatal hernia and successful sleeve?? I'm not going to sleep at all.
  HW: 245  SW:225.5  GW:165

ChangingNow
on 10/6/11 10:31 am - OH
I had a significant hiatal hernia.  It was fixed during my sleeve surgery.

VSG on 05/03/2011, SW 255, CW 140, 5'6" female
Body by Sauceda on 11/30/2012, LBL, BL/BA, long thighs, arms, neck

njr423
on 10/6/11 10:38 am
Im scheduled for November and was told they could fix a Hiatal Hernia during the sleeve surgery. 

IF you search this site I think you'll find this topic and others that had a hernia fixed at the time of the sleeve

GAFROMVA
on 10/6/11 10:46 am - Alexandria, VA
VSG on 12/08/10 with
 Yes, I had an hiatal hernia repair at the same time as the sleeve surgery.. getting it fixed got rid of my acid reflux
Glen
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. 

HW: 565, Surgery Day: 486 CW: 319
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 10:49 am
Elaine H.
on 10/6/11 11:05 am
I had a hiatal hernia too and it was fixed during surgery. Every patient at our support group has had a hiatal hernia repair during VSG. Get some sleep you will be just fine.
          VSG 3/21/11    HW 322  SW  298  CW  200 GW  175  5'7"    age 65                                                                           
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/6/11 11:11 am - Tuvalu

My sister was dx'd with a hiatal hernia and her surgery is a go.

I'd tell my surgeon--and write on my paperwork--that if I'm not a candidate for the sleeve, to close me up and I'm going home.

There is no way in HELL I'd have the RnY.
sunnymicki
on 10/6/11 11:14 am
I'll join the club of those who had hiatal hernia's repaired during my sleeve surgery.  In fact, my surgeon told me that he finds and repairs hernias in 80-90% of his WLS patients.

Honestly, if my surgeon told me what you were told, this is something that would cause me to put the brakes on the process until I better understood the surgeon's viewpoint.  I'm not saying this is true in your surgeon's case, but it would be terrible to end up with a procedure that you didn't want if it wasn't really necessary.

I'd probably end up seeking a second opinion.  A 20% chance of getting the wrong operation is too much risk for me.  If there were surgeons out there who were not deterred from the sleeve because of a hiatal hernia, wouldn't you want to know about it?

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/6/11 11:14 am - Tuvalu

On second thought, your surgeon, per her profile, has ten times more experience with the RnY than she does with the sleeve. 

You may want to reschedule with someone who KNOWS they can do this.  I've been hanging around wls boards for ten years or so and, while I often hear of hernias being repaired, I've really never heard of a hernia requiring a move to the RnY.  It almost makes no sense.

Sue
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 11:27 am
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 241 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op