Approaching people about their weight....?

Kellawanda
on 10/17/11 1:35 pm
VSG on 06/04/09 with
 I approached a woman concerning her weight............and it went well! I was curious to know your thoughts on talking to people about their weight. 

I saw her at church and really felt a strong push from God to approach her. I wrote a letter telling her about myself and stated that if she ever wanted help concerning weight loss that I would meet with her. She called a few hours later and said she would love to meet with me because she had been looking into how she could lose some weight!

Just curious if anyone else has spoken to people theyve come into contact with or their loved ones - why or why not?

I also made a video about it with my week 4 and 5 weigh-ins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SdX-7HdBow Losing the regain, woohoo! 6 down out of the 6-10 I gained (depending on which part of maintenance you look at!)
www.youtube.com/kellawanda <---check out my vlog of my progress

VSG 6/4/2009: I'm 5'4",   HW 242,   SW 234,   CW 155.  Size 6 generally.

PS with Dr. Agha 5/14/2012 - LBL, Arm lift, fat transfer to (_:_) 
Soosy
on 10/17/11 1:53 pm - TX
I often feel the urge to talk weightloss with people! Being a massage therapist I'm around allot of naked bodies of all shapes and sizes... I have to feel people out so to speak sometimes but I have yet to offend anyone. (pun intended) I'm still early in my journey but I feel like I need to use my experience to help other people get healthy! I already have several co workers who tell me they are inspired by me to lose weight... It feels weird to think I could actually inspire anyone to lose weight after my lifelong battle of the buldge, but I'm happy to talk about it with anyone who wants to listen!

God can use His children in the most unique ways. Although some might argue that we have altered his perfect creation, I fully believe that it's in how we use our new selves for His Glory that is most important.
~Susan
http://samesoosy.blogspot.com
VSG: September 13, 2011   HW:285    SW:253

Kellawanda
on 10/17/11 2:18 pm
VSG on 06/04/09 with
 I struggled with getting surgery because I felt I was damaging the body God gave me. One day I realized....the food was causing more damage than the surgeon was going to lol....so it was a corrective step to get me going in the right direction. God has given surgeons the skill and ability to fix his creation as needed. 
www.youtube.com/kellawanda <---check out my vlog of my progress

VSG 6/4/2009: I'm 5'4",   HW 242,   SW 234,   CW 155.  Size 6 generally.

PS with Dr. Agha 5/14/2012 - LBL, Arm lift, fat transfer to (_:_) 
Soosy
on 10/17/11 2:28 pm - TX
Exactly!
I felt his presence in the whole process so far! from the timing, the financials, to the surgeon and recovery... Even with my job being so cooperative. There's not a doubt in my mind that his hand was guiding this whole time...
~Susan
http://samesoosy.blogspot.com
VSG: September 13, 2011   HW:285    SW:253

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/11 3:11 pm
I will never approach anyone. I believe we all have to make our own path. I am always available to talk to anyone who comes to me. And it happens often actually.

I don't see any harm in it, however no matter the delivery some will be offended. Not every obese person is a candidate, we just have to remember that.

Great that you were able to reach someone!
Crystal M.
on 10/17/11 3:13 pm - El Paso, TX
I can only speak for myself, but if a stranger (or anyone else, for that matter) approached me about my weight, I would be mortified, humiliated, and angry. Just sayin'.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Kate1106
on 10/17/11 9:43 pm - NJ
On October 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM Pacific Time, Crystal M. wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but if a stranger (or anyone else, for that matter) approached me about my weight, I would be mortified, humiliated, and angry. Just sayin'.
Gonna have to agree with this one.  Just because people can see the fact that I'm overweight doesn't really make it any of their business.  You know?

Now, if someone that knew I had weight loss surgery wanted to talk about it.....then great!  I'm certainly not shy about my issues with weight and my recent VSG....but a stranger?  Heck no.

LittleMissSunshine
on 10/17/11 3:23 pm
I get the urge to approach people, I've felt it a few times myself, but don't because of how I'd feel if a random stranger had said anything to me back when I was 360... the same as described above, embarrassed, humiliated, etc.

I will, however, seek out opportunities to bring up my own experience should I find myself in a conversation with someone who's obviously struggling.  Just last week I met a really nice guy while we were both waiting for our kids outside of their afterschool Spanish class.  My first thought was that he'd be a prime candidate for VSG, but I didn't say anything about it or about my own weight loss.  Since last week was the first of these classes, I know I'll run into him again and we'll most likely get to chatting about our kids, our spouses, etc.  Those two topics alone present wide open doors for the potential to talk about my having had the surgery... aside from my own health, my husband and son were my main motivation.

Anyhoo... glad to hear it went well, but do be careful about it in the future as not everyone's response will be positive.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

wert
on 10/17/11 3:27 pm - MN
I speak freely with anyone who asks and really wants to know about WLS but they have to approach me. As much as I'd love to talk to a whole lot of people about it I don't. I'd love to share the benefits of VSG but I keep to myself. But, like I said, if someone wants to talk to me about it I'm all theirs. I'll tell them anything and anything. 

Let us know how your chat with this lady goes. It must have been the right thing to do in this situation. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

joeswife
on 10/17/11 5:27 pm - CA
Hi wert,

Just wanted to ask you a few questions, since I see our starting weights are the same and amount of weight loss I need to klose is close. Isee you had surgery in March and have already reached your goal! Awesome job! Because we are considered light weights in this process I was wondering what your experience with your weight loss was like? Many have told me as a light weight I might lose slower. Did you experience this? Is there any advice you can give me as to your success?

I really think I will lose the amount I want in a good time frame, but obviously not going to lose 50 pounds in 2 months! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Again, awesome job on your weight loss and continued success!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views