Not happy about pureed food stage

USAF Wife
on 10/21/11 10:03 pm
Egg, cheese, greek yogurt, and super soft(blended meats) were staples for me for nearly 3 months.

I mixed all of my chicken/tuna/egg salads with greek yogurt and little sprinkles of dry ranch or italian dressing to flavor it. Or, I'd add a little squirt of dijob or spicy brown mustard to the greek yogurt.

I had a cheap little $10 Hamilton Beach food chopper that blended the meats to literal mush.

I ate refried or black beans on rare occasion only because I needed something different and even then greek yogurt and cheese was added to them.

Ricotta bake is a good one as well. I hate cottage cheese so I never ventured there.

I could never do shakes due to intolerances so I had to really focus on protein foods.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

VegasLAbound
on 10/21/11 10:51 pm - Cleveland, OH
I really appreciate the advice from everyone on OH and the time you all take just to answer my questions. I am definitely going to try eggs and canned meats also cooking veggies and blending sounds like it would have some great options. The ricotta bake also sounds amazing. Thanks again. It's all so new to me.

weightyissues
on 10/22/11 12:35 am
Omg, I can already tell that I'm going to hate this stage of the diet. Just looking at puree...ugh. 
(deactivated member)
on 10/22/11 1:12 am
VSG on 01/10/12
What about some soups with protein powder or ricotta added?  I made a wonderful cheese soup last night that I plan to make and some butternut squash soup with ricotta and chicken both in place of the cream for extra protein.  On my plan, I am not allowed potatoes (well, certainly not recommended) or beans.  I plan to eat beans with caution and add protein to them, but pasta and other carbs will be a definite no for me.  I am still a few months out from surgery but following the low carb pre-op diet and experimenting wiht mushis NOW and making some things to freeze in advance.  Since I really jsut need some bite size portions, I am putting them into ice cube trays and stocking up like I did to make baby food.  (I know that comparison is NOT inspiring, LOL!)   

Some of my favorites so far:  carne guisada (if I am able to handle beef), chicken pot pie filling (finely chopped/blended rotisserie chicken, peas, onions, carrots, green beans, with some cream cheese and broth), chili, roast, garlic teriyaki tofu (yes, I like tofu...), lentil soup, etc.  I also am starting in on some of eggfaces recipes.  Some of them look very yummy and an easy adaptation of things I can feed the rest of the family.  

BethR311
on 10/22/11 1:36 am - Fort Wayne, IN
I'm about ready to move on to mushies and I need to, I can drink fluid like a champ and hang with protein shakes! Thank goodness. My stomach is ready for some food. But my head is afraid to give it any. Am I nuts?

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
sourcherriex
on 10/22/11 4:36 am - CA
 But think about all the healthier-sounding things you can eat! Like tuna salad! Mmm :) Also, they do make fat free refried beans and they're pretty good. Mix with some soft shredded cheese and a little taco sauce. Mmm! Also everyone seems to really like eggface's ricotta bake. It's the first thing I plan on eating when I start purees on tuesday! :)
 ~Marisa~

lmreadynow
on 10/22/11 4:50 am
 Last night l made tacos for the family. So for me, l pureed some of the meat, added my own sour cream - Greek yogurt sprinkled with garlic salt - a touch of shredded cheese and some salsa.  My NUT said to make sure that ALL food is wet, whether it be a sauce, a gravy, low-fat mayo or dressing of some kind.  Salsa must also be the cooked kind - no raw veggies.  Actually the tomato's acid helps with digestion.  They've allowed me even the taco shell if l chew the hell out of it.  l'm a bit scared of that, but l did try a couple tiny bites and did just fine.  This meal was complete heaven to me, filled me up well and l didn't have any issues.  l haven't spit up, vomitted, or had a foamy to speak of.  l under-eat my sleeve - l'd rather have to eat a little sooner than get sick or stretch my sleeve any day. Oh yeah, my NUT also said if l wanted eggs, any way they're cooked is ok, but the best is in an omelette - a touch of Am. cheese or Laughing Cow  keeps them moist. l'm not having a hard time with this stage at all. It sure beats the hell out of protein shakes and broth all day!!! 
l hope this helps at least a little!! 

HW291  SW279  l'm 5'7"        
chunkymonkey1991
on 10/22/11 5:26 am
 i had that fear too. i lost 18 pounds in the two weeks after my surgery when i was on liquids. my NUT didn't believe in actually "puree"-ing food- she just said soft food. really tiny bites and all protein. i ate cold cuts, tuna, yogury, string cheese, etc. just make smart choices and eat protein dense foods. you won't lose as fast as when you were on liquids and you will stall sometimes, but you will keep losing weight. just think about the math- for me at 200+ pounds i would need to eat 2000+ calories to maintain that. whenever i hit a stall and freak out about not losing weight, i jus remind myself that i can't possibly be maintaining my weight and the scale will start moving again. :)
Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

BethR311
on 10/22/11 10:29 am - Fort Wayne, IN
I just had about 2/3 of a 2 oz can of tuna in broth! YUM! I probably could have finished the can but didn't want to hurt myself. And a 3 pack of these little cans was $2!

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views