Not happy about pureed food stage

VegasLAbound
on 10/21/11 1:16 pm - Cleveland, OH
I am so scared of moving on to pureed food. I have tried ff refried beans, yams, mashed potatoes, and unsweetened applesauce. I just can't imagine losing weight with the addition of these foods into my diet. I am almost terrified that I won't lose weight. I recently asked for some ideas on pureed foods and they all were pretty carb-alicious. Any reassurance would be great guys. Thank you.

Paige V.
on 10/21/11 1:23 pm - Gainesville, FL
no way I would touch yams, refried beans, OR mashed potatoes!

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

VegasLAbound
on 10/21/11 1:30 pm - Cleveland, OH
OMG see that's what I was thinking. I knew that made no sense but I was hearing this from some of the posters and from the NUT. Thanks so much. I have to find new foods.

jessicae
on 10/21/11 10:48 pm
 My NUT has always said start with protein.  Pureed chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs, hummus, refried beans, soft ff cheeses, cottage cheese, etc... 

Then move on to the "other" but only once you have your protein in.  I can barely get 2 oz. in of the protein so have not moved on to other things yet!  Although I am dying for some applesauce but no it has no nutritional value for me.  

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

ChristineTX1970
on 10/21/11 1:35 pm - TX
Check out eggface - she has some really good ideas.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html

PaulaToronto
on 10/21/11 1:35 pm - Toronto, Canada
What about blending chicken with broth, soft boiled eggs, cottage cheese, blended chili (not too spicy) soft fish, blended tuna, well cooked blended veggies, pudding, greek yogurt with added protein powder, flavoured or unflavoured .  I would avoid carbs too but might have oatmeal from scratch not the instant kind.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

acbbrown
on 10/21/11 1:50 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Other than refried beans, I ate almost no carb-y foods during my soft food/pured stage.

I ate cottage cheese, greek yogurt (with some SF preserves), blended chili. As for meat, I could not even think about eating pureed meat so i got canned chicken and cooked it. It was very flaky, almost tuna consistency, so I just chewed that. I ate chicken and tuna during pureed stage. But honestly, I had more shakes than anything cause I couldn't eat much.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ms_dar
on 10/21/11 7:22 pm - Canada
I agree with the others. Potatoes, pasta and other carbs didn't sit well in my sleeve and the cottage cheese, greek yogurt, canned tuna, protein shakes were all great choices.  Eggs didn';t sit well at first but I kept trying from time to time and now love EggBites (see Eggface blog), I always have some in the fridge for breakfast or as anytime snack for the entire family. Toward the end of pureed stage(near 3 months post op) I even enjoyed Wendy's chili because we were travelling and I kept reading other people posting about it.  I couldn't eat much but those few spoonfuls tasted mighty fine  Following the 3 month point the NUT told me I should be eating more carbs and to include more whole wheat and other grains.  I tried but still usually prefer my carbs to come from fruit since I enjoy fruit and it doesn't cause as many carb cravings for me personally.

Ms. Poker Face
on 10/21/11 10:00 pm, edited 10/21/11 10:15 pm
Well, looking back at your posts, I was one who gave you ideas about pureed foods. I'm disappointed to hear you thought they were all carby, since you are getting very similar advice here. And well, it's just not true that they're all carby.

I too, had been scared to start purees. So I thought I would be helpful by answering the original question.

Guess I'll help out elsewhere.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

VegasLAbound
on 10/21/11 10:46 pm - Cleveland, OH
I'm sorry Silly_Sweet I mainly mean the things offered bu the NUT. When I went to visit this week they were disappointed in my intake and the NUT and nurse recommended some foods that I just couldn't wrap my mind around. Didn't mean to offend you and I appreciate all the advice from everyone. *Smiles

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 206 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 290 views