headache/pre-migraine - what to take?

fypcdqt
on 10/21/11 5:49 am - Cumming, GA
Hey guys!

I used to get migraines almost weekly pre-op and could take 4 advil and a regular soda (caffeine, sugar and carbonation worked with the ibuprofen to speed it to my head according to my neurologist).

I have been lucky since surgery and not had any migraines...until today.  I have the start of a migraine, and I am not sure what to take.  The papers from my doctor say to call the office before starting anything for any reason, but when I called the office they were already closed for the weekend.  I don't feel like this question is worth interupting my doctor's afternoon unless this turns into a full blow migraine, in which case I don't care if they have to pull him off the golf course to answer my call.

I know I specifically had this weight loss surgery so I can take NSAIDs post-op, but how long post-op do you have to be?  I am 7 weeks out.

Any advice much appreciated - my weekend is jammed with activity starting in 45 minutes, and I don't want to miss a thing!

Thanks!!!

Amy

Crystal M.
on 10/21/11 5:52 am - El Paso, TX
I've had migraine all my adult life. I take Maxalt (sublingual). My doc said I could take it again as needed immediately after the surgery.

To be honest, I don't know how you can treat a migraine with just OTC drugs.

Call your surgeon's office to ask.

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

fypcdqt
on 10/21/11 6:10 am - Cumming, GA
Every prescription I've ever tried has made me sicker than the migraine...to the point I'd prefer to feel like dying with the migraine than to have the side effects of the meds.  I saw a neurologist a few years ago and he had me take 4 advil with a regular coke.  His studies showed preliminary results of an effective rate equivalent to Immitrex.  It worked for me most of the time.

Now soda is out, so hopefully these migraines will be few and far between!

susanraywilliams
on 10/21/11 6:04 am
If it's pre-migraine, maybe Liquid Tylenol. I know migraines can come on fast though. I would still call my Dr. They give you their # for a reason. I'm assuming your Dr. did. It doesn't matter. Migraines can be debilitating. Call him or your regular practitioner. NSAIDs I don't think would be a good idea. I started to get bad headaches post-op and figured out I was probably not getting enough fluids. So, I drank powerade 0. My head quit hurting.

Good luck and best wishes to you

Susan

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

fypcdqt
on 10/21/11 6:13 am - Cumming, GA

My surgeon's office is closed until Monday, but they will page him if I need him.  Hate bothering him over pain killers at this point.

My PCP said to listen to whatever my surgeon said b/c I am his first VSG patient, and all of his RNY patients aren't allowed NSAIDs.

Sounds like a stop to CVS for liquid tylenol is in order...

edelu
on 10/21/11 7:38 am - los angeles, CA
I had my first post op migraine at 4 weeks.  I took Excedrin migraine.  I've had a couple since and took whatever was on hand.  They reacted just as they did pre-op. Keeping nsaids was one of the reasons i had this surgery.
The_Chungs
on 10/21/11 9:42 am
I suffer from occasional migraines and endometriosis...I am no stranger to pain. lol! 

At around 6 weeks out the endometriosi**** and my surgeon's office told me not to take more than 2 Advil liqui-gels (my pain reliever of choice) at a time and to be sure to always take my PPI first.  I made sure never to go over the recommended dosage during the day though, whereas pre-op I'd pop four of those suckers without thinking twice.

Feel better!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -  Confucius  
Height:  5'10  HW:  400  SW:  374.6  GW:  160    

Crystal M.
on 10/21/11 11:53 am, edited 10/20/11 11:55 pm - El Paso, TX
You can replace the caffeine in the regular Coke w/ coffee. I drink decaf every day except when I have a headache; then I drink regular. The caffeine helps w/ migraines.

I know what you mean about the side effects. I've tried many different prescription migraine meds and most have bad side effects. However, for me, the migraine is worse. And Maxalt's side effects are less severe than the others (for me).

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/11 2:40 pm
I'm sorry to hear you're having a migraine. I have them too (once a month) and my surgeon said the Imitrex I've been taking is fine. I take a half one and it doesn't make me too loopy or sleepy to function. A whole one and I'm out for the count.

But OTC I would drink strong coffee and take extra strength Tylenol. 

Have you tried the Head On stuff? You know - "Apply directly to forehead"? It's not magic but it does about the same thing as holding an ice pack on your head. Any little bit helps with migraines.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 221 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 301 views