I'm a chicken!

lovetoread
on 10/25/11 10:09 am - East Amherst, NY
My VSG is set for Nov. 1 (!!!!!) and I originally wanted the LapBad. But honestly, my problems are eating too much food and always feeling hungry. To me the sleeve addresses my issues perfectly. I liked that it doesn't fool around with my intestines like the RNY. I also think it's more effective than the Lap Band.

Two of my coworkers had the LapBand, and one has lost quite a bit of weight over the past 3 years. One hasn't lost too much weight and is still very overweight (although she's glad she had it - she stopped her diabetes medicine right away); one of her friends had the Lap band and gained 40 pounds. I just don't think it would help me as much as the VSG.

Another friend had the VSG a year ago and looks and feels healthy and fantastic. I think it's the wave of the future!!!
ctwoman
on 10/25/11 11:27 am
I had got the Lapband on 11/7/07.  I was very successful with it and lost 145 pounds.  But on March 17, 2011 I was rushed into emergency surgery to have the band removed because it slipped...and BAD!  My stomach was almost dead (and that would be really, really, bad!)  since the removal I have gained 60 pounds.  I am going in for the sleeve this coming Monday  (we are going with a holiday thing I guess!) and I am so excited and happy to get back on track!  While I don't regret the fact that I had the band I would not recommend it to anyone at this time.  I would go with the sleeve.  Do your research and go with what will work for you!  Best Wishes!
sunnymicki
on 10/25/11 2:07 pm
Keep in mind that while the VSG is a new stand alone surgery, a partial gastrectomy (basically what the sleeve is) is not.  They have been done to treat ulcers, cancer, and other conditions for decades - and people have lived with no ill effects from them. 

Also, the sleeve has also been done as the first part of the duodenal switch (DS) for a long time, at least 10 years that I know of, possibly longer.  In fact, it became popular as a stand alone procedure when surgeons realized that patients who had just the sleeve portion done first (because of high risk for the full operation) did not need the second portion of the DS done.

To alleviate some of your concern about the newness of the procedure, you could find a surgeon who does the DS (I believe there is a list of respected DS surgeons on the website www.dsfacts.com) because he or she will have more experience doing the VSG than your typical bariatric surgeon who doesn't do the DS.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views