I'm a chicken!

Bellaprincess98
on 10/25/11 3:26 am
I recently cancelled my Lap Band surgery that was scheduled for October 3rd. For the longest time I thought that the Lap Band was the safest surgery with less risks and thats what I wanted for a long time. But the last couple of months of research and reading the message boards has made me see that the Lapband has less of a sucess rate, and more complications than previously thought. I'm seeing more and more people remove the lapband and do the Sleeve. Those people are lucky to be able to do that but I only get one of these surgeries and I want to make the right choice.

The sleeve seems interesting to me but I'm scared because now I've entered major surgery territory here, which is not something I was planning on. Should I suck it up and do it or should I just stick with the band seeing as though it has been around the longest?

Thanks for the support, I'd really appreciate your advice.
Kristi_in_Kazoo
on 10/25/11 3:39 am
I always thought I wanted the band too.  My surgeon pointed out to me that the sleeve was another great option for me.  I decided that the VSG was right for me.  I didn't want to deal with all of the adjustments and possible complications.

Ms Shell
on 10/25/11 3:56 am - Hawthorne, CA
If you've spent time on the Band Forum and the Revision Forum and even the Failed LapBand group (it's gotten to the point where folks CREATED a group) that I wouldn't get the band if my LIFE depended on it because well my LIFE...would depend on it.

What is scaring you about the Sleeve?

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

BariBariHappy
on 10/25/11 3:59 am - MI
 I too originally wanted the LapBand but after a lapband and a sleeve consultation with my surgeon and doing my homework on here and at my weight loss center....the sleeve was and is the best choice. No fills. No unfills. No flipped ports. No puking. No slipped band. No erosion. 

Don't say you should just "suck it up"....get as informed as you can. My surgery was very non-eventful and I'm into my 7th week going into my 8th. Easy....Breezy! If anything you should be exercising so you are as strong as can be before the surgery. The stronger you are physically...the easier the recovery. 

Oh..and it's better to think twice....cut once! 
   HW: 291 • SW: 260 • CW: 196 • GW: 145            

Happy966
on 10/25/11 4:17 am

It is major surgery, they do remove most of your stomach, and there are risks of complications.  You can also have problems with the lap band, and while they tout it as a "reversible" surgery, there can be long-term damage to your stomach that is not reversible.

I had never had *any* surgeries before VSG, and I was really, really nervous.  BUT I am thrilled I did this surgery, even though, like you, I had considered the band. 

My recovery has been very uneventful, and I feel remarkably "normal" except that I am satisfied by very little food (600-650 calories).  I have been grateful every day of the past 8 weeks that I made this decision. 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Lisa J.
on 10/25/11 7:19 am - OK
GOOD FOR YOU in canceling the band! I too, was set on Band vs RNY, but I have to say in honesty that it's simply because it *seemed* like less of a surgery. ALL WLS is major surgery, do not be fooled by the procedure.

During my seminar (and you have to understand that I'm usually a person who makes instant decisions and is QUITE stubborn) I immediately knew that the Lap Band was not for me, and that my issue was most definitely food volume and that the VSG was the best choice. Can I say best choice I ever made? You betcha!

Actually I think RNY has been around longer than LB but it too, has drawbacks, it isn't for everyone. Every surgery has the potential for complications, don't get me wrong. And don't settle for something that doesn't sit right with you.

DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR! Please please please get past posts to read, everything on the pluses/minuses of each surgery, compare them to one another (all the information you'd ever need is on this site) and make the best decision for YOU. Not for the doctor, not for the insurance company, not for your family members. YOU.

I only had one choice too: I paid cash for this baby and I'm so glad I did!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
joeswife
on 10/25/11 7:24 am - CA
I am 3 weeks post op from revision, lap band to vsg. I couldn't be happier. Yes it is a more extensive procedure than lap band, but I can honestly say that the pain is no different, and recovery is not bad at all. After 6 days I really started to feel myself again, and every day since then has been better and better. The only thing I have found different is that I am more tired, need to rest when the body tells me to. And of course to stay hydrated. Other than that not much different. I would not get the band if my life depended on it, I would stay fat, because that's exactly what happened to me. Slight success, and then diet after diet to try to lose and vomit often. The food get stiuck a lot.

Good luck to you on your decision I vote vsg!

amanda D.
on 10/25/11 7:51 am - Stayton, OR
I originally wanted the band as well, then I read Ms. Jean's Bandwagon book.  I got about half way through it, said "OH FUUUUUUCK NO!!!!" and came to the VSG portion of the forums lol.

Now keep in mind, I had already been to my first (of THREE) seminar's.  I was totally down with what Dr. Smith was saying.  How there's minimal complications "ordinarilly"....hmm wait..what? "ordinarilly"...well Im not your average fat person, if there is a .1% chance something is going to happen, well you know its going to happen to me. 

So I contacted Del Sol in El Paso, Texas about the VSG. Traveled down there with my husband, spent NINE hours in a confrence room that led me from being irritiated, to pissed off, to down right ready to go postal (second portion of second seminar...seriously?!?).  Drove the 4 hours back home, drowned my sorrows in peanut butter cups for a week. lol...totally NOT kidding.

The following week I did a google search for doctors around New Mexico that do VSG, found Dr. Andy. Who other than being a total cutie patootie really put my mind at ease about the whole surgery.  I went on a Tuesday, drove the 5 ish hours to Flagstaff, went to yet ANOTHER seminar lol, and met with Dr. Andy first thing the following morning...by myself (well husband was there, but you know what i mean...there wasn't 13 of us cramed in a room)...took maybe an hour and we were heading back home. 

I have now been sleeved 5 and a half weeks.  And I have to tell you, it was the BEST decision I have ever made concerning my health.  I'm not going to lie, the day before surgery as my husband and I drove to Flagstaff,  I debated several times about just turning back around and canceling my surgery.  I was soooo terrified.  We were barely out of Gallup or Grants ( i can never remember which one comes first as we're heading out of New Mexico lol) as I tell my husband I want to turn around and go back home.  To which he snaps back at me "Right on!!!! Let's go hit a Red Lobster too on our way back!!"  I look at him completely shocked and said "I'm sorry, WHAT?!?"...he says "Well, the way I see it, either way you're wasting my money and you're going to die anyway" (keep in mind I'm deathly allergic to shell fish) At this point I was in tears.  He says "this is the way I see it, either you don't have the surgery and you eventually kill yourself plus waste my money from driving to and from here for no reason...OR I take you to Red Lobster, you STILL waste waste my money, and it just kills you quicker".  

Needless to say it shut me up for the rest of the drive there lol.  I put on my big girl panties and just sucked it up.  I was completely terrified.  I still remember as they were waking me up from the anesthesia saying, "Thank you for not killing me".  The nurse laughed and said "Did she just say what I THINK she said ahahaha"...so I repeated myself, he laughed again and said "You're welcome".  It hasn't been an 'easy' journey, I still get frustrated with myself that i eat so little and fill up so quickly, Im always the last one to finish my 1/4c meal and this is even after my husband and daughter have gone back for seconds of whatever they are eating...but you know what?  I wouldn't change what I did.  I would to it again in a heart beat.

Best of luck to you.
~Amanda

Meme10
on 10/25/11 8:04 am - TX
Three weeks ago I had revision from the band to a sleeve. Save yourself an extra surgery and get the sleeve. The band is either too restrictive and causes food to get stuck and you vomit or it is not tight enough to lose. Also, after a few years out many people start having reflux and even slippage. The band was good for my first fifty lbs....then I started having reflux. Also the band does not address the hunger issue.
              HW-307  lapband-243  SW-250  CW-225  GW-150                  

Bellaprincess98
on 10/25/11 9:11 am
Wow guys, thanks so much for your responses. This really helped a lot. I'm really leaning towards the sleeve now. Now the question is, if I post this on the Lapband board what kind of responses will I get then? LOL
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views