question about protein shakes

rbccbrmfld
on 10/28/11 7:23 am
I am three weeks post surgery and just now getting all my protein in.  My question is I keep reading posts saying that protein shakes could cause stalls.  I am in one now after losing almost 20 pds. I have been for about 5 days.  I usually drink two 6 ounce protein shakes a day to get protein in because can't each much regular food at a time yet. 1-2 ounces of meat is it.  Is this to much shakes or am I ok at this point.  I will reduce them when I can eat more. Any advice would be great thanks.

rhidunn
on 10/28/11 7:29 am - Annapolis, MD
Depeding on how much I eat - I have been drinking 2 or 3 protein shakes a day since my surgery 11/2008.  I have lost 260 pounds and never experienced a substantial "stall".  Remember that as you loose all this weight your body has to stop and "recalculate" every so often.  During this early time, hyrdration, protein and wise food choices should be all you think about -- the scale and your body will take care of the rest.

rbccbrmfld
on 10/28/11 7:37 am
Thanks so much. I have limited my carbs most of all my foods have high protein amounts.  Every once in a while do pintos and cheese. Maybe once a week and have done wendys chilli once.  Im so glad to hear that 2 are ok a day.  I dont always like them but they do the trick.  I am going to list what I had yesterday and please tell me if you think I am doing ok.  My water does need to get up sometimes only get around 50 ounces.
bfast  protein shake 6 ounces 26 grams protein
snack same thing
lunch  greek yogurt 4-5 ounces around 10grams protein
dinner 2 ounces fish about 12 grams protein
snack 1/4 cup cottage cheese
I think I had 79 grams protein for day and 53 ounces water.

Charlie S.
on 10/28/11 7:53 am
If you do a search for 3 week stall, I think you will figure out real quick what your problem is!  I had the same experience and quickly found that MOST people have a stall around week 3.  Mine lasted almost 2 weeks.  However, I had taken the advice of a bunch of vets on here who said to not only weigh once a week, but measure as well.  During that stall, I didn't lose a single pound, but lost 2 inches in my waist and over an inch in my biceps and chest.  

I know what I am about to say is stupid, but try not to let it bother you when you stall.  Keep on the plan your Dr gave you and you WILL be successfull.  I haven't had any problems.  3 week stall is completely normal.  However, as a forewarning, according to my research, the 3 week is the only real consistent one.  After that you may not have another for months, or may have one two weeks later.  But if you keep your measurements every week, you'll be prepared for those unsuspected stalls.

Keep up the good work, LOSER!

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

Elaine2
on 10/28/11 7:56 am - Atlanta, GA
bfast  protein shake 6 ounces 26 grams protein
snack same thing
lunch  greek yogurt 4-5 ounces around 10grams protein
dinner 2 ounces fish about 12 grams protein
snack 1/4 cup cottage cheese
I think I had 79 grams protein for day and 53 ounces water.

But----good protein numbers, all soft/mushy food, volume looks good considering the type of food. IMO
Have you started using a tracking devise yet?---I'm obsessed about that!

Protein shakes do not cause "stalls". For most, they are going to happen no matter what you do. Just a part of the losing process. I still use a 17 oz shake each day split between breakfast and an AM snack.  Wouldn't miss it!

Good luck.

FancyNancyOne
on 10/28/11 11:36 am - MA
Can you tell me what shake you are using that gives you 26 grams of protein?
thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views