best relief of coughing allergies (after surgery)

BETHC500
on 11/8/11 10:00 am
Any over the counter liquid meds I can use after surgery. I found that I was sneezing, coughing alot in the hospital and then when I got home it was better but still... I do have allergies.  before surgery I bought some liquid claritin, liquid tylenol and liquid musinex but when I asked the nurse what I can take she didn't know. huh? like i am the only person to have sleeve surgery and have allergies?
tillmadd
on 11/8/11 10:06 am - WI
 Im in the hospital now with  mucous and some in my lungs with a very slight fever. I had surgery yesterda and the nurse said this is normal??? I am confused too
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

USAF Wife
on 11/8/11 10:44 am
I was allowed all of those medications you have listed at 6 weeks post-VSG. I was taking pills and not having to take liquids. I would ask your surgeon specifically what you can take since the nurse was oblivious.

I have allergies, and I take Zyrtec. I take Mucinex and Advil cold/sinus/allergy when I really congested. I've taken just about every OTC medication out there in my over 2 years of post-VSG time without issue. I steer clear of Tylenol products except for Dayquil on occasion, and if it's super bad, I'll pop a couple of Nyquil liqui caps.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

BETHC500
on 11/8/11 11:54 am
The thing is, I am only 3 days out. I figure I will eventually be able to take these meds again after healing. but not sure about what to do now.
USAF Wife
on 11/8/11 12:50 pm
On November 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM Pacific Time, BETHC500 wrote:
The thing is, I am only 3 days out. I figure I will eventually be able to take these meds again after healing. but not sure about what to do now.
Sorry that information was NOT included in your original post nor is it listed under your profile,  so I was simply sharing my experience and what I was allowed with what little information you did share which goes back to my original reply of best option would be to check with your surgeon.

I know a neti pot is great for some people who can not take certain medications if that is an option, you can find them at most retailer's pharmacy departments, you could give that a try since there is zero medication ingested with flushing your nasal cavities.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

46_11tobeme
on 11/8/11 12:07 pm - NJ
 Call your surgeon and ask about the meds. I have bad allergies and was told I could go back to my Zyrtec and any other allergy meds when I left the hospital. I have been trying to control my allergies with nose sprays though - there are some great prescription nosesprays for allergies (I use Patanase and Veramyst). Hope you get some refief.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 91 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views