What are the complications of VSG?

alr1277
on 11/10/11 2:10 am
I Have a realize band. I have had it for a year and a half now. I lost 60 lbs but I have had so many problems. I wont go into them now but I am thinking of revising to the sleeve a nd I want to kow some of the issues  with that. Does food get stuck? Is eating ever painful?  Do you vomit? These are all isssue I have had with the band, amoungst others.

VegasLAbound
on 11/10/11 2:15 am - Cleveland, OH
I'm 5weeks out and food doesn't get stuck and nor has eating been painful. I have vomitted and that was because I ate so doggone fast and paid for it afterward. I haven't had any complications. So good luck on your continued journey.
SassyItalian
on 11/10/11 2:43 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
the VSG doesnt have alot of the problems that the band does.

We can eat food, it doesnt get stuck. Its comfortable to eat  protein.

Eating is not painful nor should it ever be!

If you overeat and ignore your full signals you will vomit because there is no where else for food to go. But you will figure out what you should be eating by measuring your food so you dont go crazy. But there is no constant vomiting or anything,

Eating is completely normal now, I can eat anything, in moderation, protein first, and it feels fine and I dont vomit.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

OldMedic
on 11/10/11 7:39 am - Alvaton, KY
With the sleeve, you have a completely normal gastrointestinal tract.  The ONLY thing different is that you stomach is now a LOT smaller than it used to be.

YES, you can have stomach pain, and YES, you can vomit, but this is almost always because people eat way too fast, eat too much, or both.  Most people learn not to do this after one or two episodes of "the foamies", but a few "hard headed types" have to relive their mistakes several times over before THEY learn.

Long term, the most common problem is a nutritional deficiency, usually of one or more vitamins and.or minerals.  That is EASILY taken care of by taking a good multivitamin and mineral tablet, for the vast majorty of people.

I was always borderline on iron, and below normal with B-12, so I have to take those for the rest of my life, as well as a good multivitamin. 

Since we can eat only a limited amount, we often do not get enough roughage in our diets.  That means, we need to take fiber supplements, or we can get very constipated.  BUT, if you eat a lot of veggies, this shouldn't be a problem, unless like me, you have to take prescription pain medication regularly.

There is NO real dumping with the sleeve.  SOME people do become somewhat sensitive to sweets, especially early on.  This rarely lasts, and the vast majority of people that HAVE had that problem were pigging out on sweets at the time.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views