Protein drink--- timing

weighless
on 11/12/11 8:44 am - OH
VSG on 01/11/12
Hello everyone,

When some of you say you are drinking protein shakes, is that considered your "meal" protein?  I thought you couldn't drink your meal?  So, I assume it means you are supplementing these shakes in-between meals to up the protein intake?

Thanks,
Janie
  54 yr. female 5'7" / HW 283 / Consult W 253 / SW 240.5 / CW 167  
Month 1:  Lost 20 pounds
Month 2:  Lost 11 pounds
Month 3  Lost 18 pounds
stacezoe
on 11/12/11 9:15 am
Yes, usually the shakes are to supplement what you are eating to get you to your surgeon's suggested daily protein intake, I've been told to get as much as I can from my food but to use the shakes to make up the difference.

Hope that helps, I am in no way a Vet though.
 Inspiration move me brightly...Grateful Dead Terapin Station
  HW 286 SW 279 CW 231 40y/o 5'10  Month 1-17, 2-7#, 3- 7#, 4-3#,5-3#      
rhidunn
on 11/12/11 10:14 pm - Annapolis, MD
I had a hard time with a lot of food early on so I had to rely on shakes for protein and other nutritional intake.  Now, I use as a supplement (I have never been a big breakfast person so I have a shake with protein and coffee) and then one or two additional shakes throughout the day -- i am currently pushing protein to a much higher number in prep for my plastics this coming week. 

watchmenow
on 11/13/11 1:14 am

I have a protein shake first thing in the morning that has 40 grams of protein.  I still eat 3 meals that are small because I can't hold much in my sleeve.  Still, my doctor told me my calories are too low and that I need to find a way to consume more calories.  When I eat more, I lose more. I have a lot of muscle and what looks like 250 on some people, looks like 210 on me.

I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views