Anyone take Prednidone or another steroid while trying to lose?

Mrs.Goose
on 11/17/11 3:12 am
I went to see the ENT yesterday about my vertigo problem and she wants me to take 60 mgs of Prednisone (steroid) for 7 days. I’m so worried that this is going to keep me from losing any weight this week. I already didn’t see a loss this week and just realized that from time to time I’m going to be faced with a stall but now I’m not only worried that I will still be stalled next week but that there is even a possibility that I might gain. I’m really freaked out about this. Also I’m sure it’s going to make my blood sugars go up. Has anyone else had this problem? 
Get in the COURAGE LANE ... There is hardly any traffic in that lane! 

emelar
on 11/17/11 3:39 am - TX
Pred is almost guaranteed to make you gain weight.  But 7 days shouldn't be too bad.  Just stay off of the scale for 2-3 weeks (the week you're taking the pred and a week or 2 after) so that you don't lose  your mind over it!
jescole
on 11/17/11 4:52 am
I had gotten poison ivy on my face and the dermatologist gave be a big fat shot of steroids and 3 days @60 mg of prednisone....it cured the poison ivy...I had more energy than I have had in years..I didnt gain any weight due to the extra energy level...Let me put it this way...my house was spotles, my yard was manacured and not a stitch of laundry to be had!! I think I need to go back on them lol!!!!
Carmelita
on 11/17/11 5:22 am - Four Corners, NM
Jasonm11
on 11/17/11 5:31 am
I was on it for a week the second week after surgery due to an allergic reaction to something during surgery that covered my body in a rash....I lost almost 30 lbs in the first two weeks...don't worry about a short term dose. It causes weight gain by increasing appetite whi*****reases intake. Your intake is limited so you'll be fine.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Mom4Jazz
on 11/17/11 5:50 am
I take a steroid every day of my life. That's why I first looked at the sleeve - steroids can be killers with an RNY, leading to ulcers.

Other than some fluid, which goes away, the biggest problem with steroids is that they make you seriously munchy. With mine I know when those will kick in and plan my eating accordingly.

To minimize the damage on a higher dose but shorter term cycle of steroids:

Plan your eating - you're gonna get the munchies a half hour to two hours after you take a dose. Plan your meals accordingly so when they hit you're due to eat.

Eat the right kinds of protein-dense, low carb/fat foods to minimize calorie damage. Even on the steroids, your restriction is still there so this will minimize any over-eating.

Stay away from the scale for the 7 days you're on the steroid and 7 days thereafter.

If you do those three things, you will be fine.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Marcia B.
on 11/17/11 5:50 am - CA
I took it for a bout of Bronchitis 2 weeks ago and that week I actually lost... 6 lbs so I didn't have any problems with it.

Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 195 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 281 views