Revision surgery scheduled: Lapband to Sleeve....any advice???

cassandra1021
on 11/22/11 1:32 am - MD

Questions for any that's had a revision from lapband to sleeve, what should I expect post-op, how's has the weight loss been, any complications, pain level, and etc....I just want to be prepared as I can be!  Thanks in advance!!

Chelle2380
on 11/22/11 2:14 am - TX
Okay...I just went from lapband to sleeve this past Friday and I just got discharged from the hospital last night.  I kept expecting to have the same amount of pain I did with the lapband...but boy oh boy...was I totally wrong!!! This surgery since it's a revision is so much more painful!  I asked my doctor why it knocked me on my butt so bad and she explained it's much easier to have the lapband taken out and then waiting a few months then getting the sleeve done.  It is getting better each day, but I am on pain meds almost around the clock!  Just know that you will need help to get around after you get home.  I never thought I would need this much help afterward!  I wish you the best of luck!!!!

soulsister
on 11/22/11 2:34 am - NY
I am a revision but had my lapband out 3 months ago and then the sleeve 2 weeks ago.

I had no pain.  I wasn't even on any pain meds.  It was the same for me with the lapband surgery and the lapband extraction- no pain, no meds.

I could've gone back to work after about four days but diarrhea was bad. I went back after a week-no problems or tiredness.

Everyone is different I guess!  Good luck!
ShanaR
on 11/22/11 2:59 am - East Brunswick, NJ
VSG on 11/09/11 with
I had my band removed Oct 21st after 4 years. I was sleeve 11/09.. I'm with Chelle on this one! Boy did it knock me on my butt!! I just recently started feeling pain relief. This kicked more than any of my 3 surgeries I  have had! I'm down 21.4lbs from the surgery. I'm two weeks out tomorrow. I'll tell you ahead of time the getting liquids down the first 2 weeks is tougher than I thought. I had no gas pains like I did with the lapband surgery. I had a lot of nausea. I was asking for pain medicine at every time allowable. I'm doing much better and tolerating all liquids and mushies fine. The hardest part so far is learning my full signal. I'm getting there day by day. some days I can tolerate more than others. I'm very happy with my sleeve. It really is great! Good Luck!
"I choose Inner beauty for the first and physical beauty for the Second"-UnKnown
Hw:280 SW:223.4 CW:199.4 GW:150

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 3:13 am
i revised on 10.26 - i had pain the first 4 days & the meds really helped.
most of the area that was tender was where my liver is & the removal of adhesions - all in all, was worse than the band....but manageable.

the weight loss has been awesome, but i really didn't need to drop much.   my PCP would like to see me @ 103 for my height & arthritis and see no reason i can't get there in a month or so (i claim 5ft - but barely).

cassandra1021
on 11/22/11 4:11 am - MD
Thanks so much you all for the info.  I'm a bit nervous but I'm praying that all will be well.  I will do my best to follow all post-op instructions in hopes of a speedy recovery!  Thanks again!
cassandra1021
on 11/22/11 11:54 pm - MD
thank you so much for your reply...I will keep you all posted on my progress and experience next month... :)
ctwoman
on 11/22/11 8:26 am
I am a revision....had my band removed via emergency surgery in March and got the revision 3 weeks ago. 

The recovery from the sleeve in my expericence was better and easier than with the band.  I only had pain meds on the day of surgery and more because I was afraid I was going to be in pain if I didn't take it.  I did struggle with nausea the second day and part of the third day.  The nausea was pretty intense but the hospital was great in trying different meds until they found the one that worked for me.  Once I came home I had no pain, no nausea...I had surgery on Monday and went to work the following Monday...I am a teacher and had no issues.

I was really scared about the recovery from this surgery because I read about different people having such a hard time but I was relieved and thankful to God that my recovery went by so smoothly.

Best wishes to you and God Bless!
HW 315 - Lapband 11/7/07 Lapband emergency removal 3/17/11 -weighed 159
VSG Pre-op diet 10/21/11 weighed 256 - Surgery on 10/31/11 weighed 239.8

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views