Muscle Milk- ugh any suggestions?

happyteacher
on 11/23/11 11:07 am
 So I am working toward my surgery date and am excited that I am closing in on this.  Today at the pre-op appointment they cleared me to see the surgeon to get the date set.  I am looking to continue to lose weight between  now and then and found that the HMR 70 shakes were pretty good and really helps me to moderate calories over the day without feeling half starved.  The down side was the cost.  I went out today and bought a costco size jug of Muscle Milk, as I read that it is far more cost effective and not half bad.  I disagree.  It is terrible.  I am going to make myself work though the darn jug, but I thought I would just put this out there that the HMR 70 shake was worth the difference in price.  The shakes run about $40 for 18 of them compared to $40 of Muscle milk mix that will make 52 shakes.  I found if I add cocoa powder it helps the MM and I need to mix one up without ice to see if that helps.  I just assumed that because I like the HMR better with ice that this would hold true for Muscle Milk.  

Here is the nutrion info on HMR:
110 Calories
14g 14g Protein
0g 0.5g Fat
0g 0g Trans Fat
13g 13g Carbohydrate
220mg 260mg Sodium
300mg 280mg Calcium

Muscle milk clocked in at 
16 grams protein
9 grams carb
2 grams fiber
150 calories
3 gram saturated fat
0 trans fat
2 grams sugar
150 mg sodium
calcium was at 25% daily value

If anyone has any suggestion on how to make my enourmous jug of muscle milk more palateable I would much appreicate the advice!

babystacie
on 11/23/11 11:31 am - TN
I agree Muscle Milk is so gross. I like the Atkins ready to drink shakes. I like the milk chocolate and a friend of mine raves about the strawberry, and we are both picky as hell. LOL. Anyways I get 12 for 15.88 at Sams Club, Walmart had them 4 for 6.00. They have 15g of protein per shake. Hope that helps
ThinVoyage
on 11/23/11 11:34 am - CA
VSG on 09/06/11 with
happyteacher
on 11/23/11 11:15 pm
 uh oh, forgot about the casein thing.  It said it was lactose free so I assumed it was whey based.  duh.  It was better this morning when I blended it without the ice for sure, but for whatever reason not nearly as satieting as the HMR 70.  I will use this up pre surgery and switch over to a better quality post.  I have not noticed the premier shake at costco, I will check it out- thanks!
Elaine2
on 11/23/11 11:34 am, edited 11/23/11 11:43 am - Atlanta, GA
I've attached a link to some shake recipes. You just have to experiment to find a combo you can tolerate.

I used the HMR shakes for 18 months on their program. Actually pretty good but the carb to protein ratio was too high for me after WLS. Can't remember if it was the HMR70 or one of the other ones. After you finish the MM, try a single Lean Body by Labrada RTD. Available at GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe. I think the taste is close. Still might be too expensive. But the protein is 40 while the carbs are only 8 or 9.

Good Luck.
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-fa vorite-protein-shake-recipes.html

Can't find the 2nd link. Will add it if I can locate it. It was furnished by USAFWife, I think.

Edited to add---------found it
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4466424/Repost-of-ENOR MOUS-Protein-recipe-list-SERIOUSLY-huge-LIST/

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 11:41 am - Overland Park, KS
Have you tried Unjury? I like those and they have more protein (about 20g) per shake and are about half the price per tub of the ones you are buying. You can buy a sample pack for around $20. I think they are tasty and might be worth a try for you. I can tolerate Muscle Milk, but it's not my favorite. 

~Micah
happyteacher
on 11/23/11 11:16 pm
 I will look for those and try too.  I am sure like most, i am looking for the most cost effective and tolerable option.  I appreciate the suggestion!
Happy Camper
on 11/23/11 12:04 pm
 I really dislike muscle milk (sour taste), but I love the premier protein drinks - both chocolate and vanilla.  Much better!!

Happy Camper
on 11/23/11 12:05 pm
p.s. They are at Costco too.

rhearob
on 11/23/11 12:09 pm - TN
 I use the Body Fortress Whey Protein Isolate from Kroger.  30g of Protein per 130-140 calories (130 Vanilla, 140 Chocolate).  Low fat and low carbs.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 295 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views