After 3 months of going back and forth....

bestillkc
on 11/30/11 8:18 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/12
After 3 months of going back and forth in my head and with my S.O., and after more failed attempts at dieting...i have finally decided to proceed with the Weight loss surgery. 

I went to the free informational meeting (that is required you attend to even get an appt with the practice) in Sept....and my 1st appt was set up with the doctor for 12/7/11...next week!!!  i was going to cancel it but i am sooo glad i didn't!

so next week the appt is a group appt with the surgeon...weird i think...but then after that I have to sign up for a 6 week surgery info class that starts in January where i will meet with a psychiatrist, nutritionalists and an athletic trainer.  after completion of this 6 week program you get set up for surgery....so i am thinking surgery could be anytime from March-June depending how far out they are scheduling.

I am finally happy with my choice to proceed with the surgery.  FInally stopped seeing it as a failure but more as a tool to help me.  still not sure if i am going to tell anyone (besides my SO who is supporting me in this and who may also consider the surgery as well depending on how it is for me) I know my sister will try to talk me out of it and i am sure that many other of my family members will too. 

:)

trayb17
on 11/30/11 8:24 am
VSG on 01/05/12
Good luck...a fellow Michigander here! With insurance approval my surgery should be sometime in January!
bestillkc
on 11/30/11 8:28 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/12
thanks you too!!!!!!!!
janielynne
on 11/30/11 9:35 am
congrats on finally making a plan....this will be a wonderful journey....see my post from about 1 hr ago.  You can see what the sleeve can do.....This is the best thing I ever did for myself....

Welcome to the boards...see you on the loser bench soon !!!!

sparklinprincess81
on 11/30/11 11:01 am - MI
 Congratulations on your decision to change YOUR life!

I'm heavily emphasizing YOUR, because it is YOUR life. A year ago, I knew I wanted to lose weight and it wasn't until last Feburary that I even knew it was an option for me to have weight loss surgery.  I had family support because my mom was having it too, but as far as my friends they just didn't understand. My friends that were smaller as well as those that were larger felt that if you just did diet and exercise you should lose weight. Now not a lot of them actually did diet or exercise, so they didn't understand all of the sweat and tears that can go into it with the minimal results. I say to this day it was the best decision that I have made in my life. Nor did they understand the meaning of obese and the health problems associated with obesity. They just would say oh you're plus size or thick. I say all this to say, that I realized the people surrounding me were in some ways either in denial, just plain ignorant about healthy living, and/or haters. I also realized by learning about the surgery as well as the lifestyle change that will occur, I was empowered and I had a responsibility to myself to change. YOU are at the point where you can change your life.

People are going to say what they want to say, however if it's in your heart take charge and make this change for yourself and for your future. I wish the best of luck to you and I truly want you to embrace the decision you have made on your journey!
HW: 257 (3/11); SW: 244 (7/11); GW: 150 (?/??)
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Daisy_Rose
on 11/30/11 10:33 pm
 Wow - lots of Michiganders on this post!  My surgery is 12/5 and it will be an interesting journey for us!

Stay in touch and will see you on the 'losers' bench soon!!
UnRuli
on 12/1/11 12:56 am - Plainwell, MI
 Congratulations on making the decision.  I had a tough time deciding too.  I was fortunate in that my time making the decision was enough time for my insurance company to begin covering the VSG so in the end I was able to have the surgery that was PERFECT for me!

There are rough times in the beginning and there will be a few times early on where you will doubt your decision but I can say that it is the best thing I've EVER done for myself!  I went through the last minute fears and nearly cancelled my surgery.  My toughest day was on day two when swelling in my stomach started making me dry-retch (not something everyone experiences, but I happened to be one of them).  I went through the early "what have I done to myself?" worries, but soon realized that in the end I was saving my life and it wasn't so bad after the tough times subsided.  I had trouble finding protein suppliments I liked but eventually found ones that worked for me.  I had trouble getting in my fluids at first, but pushed through and figured out ways to get them in.  I went through the hormone surges due to the loss of hormone-laden fat......it sucked but it wasn't horrible.  I lost quite a bit of hair (but of course not all of it) and grew it all back.  I went through the stalls at 3 weeks and 8 months and several in between.  I went through slow weight loss spells and temporary gains.  I have flabby skin, but it's SO much better than sore joints and a sick body.

Other than eating a little less and weighing a LOT less, my life is pretty normal.  I now weigh what I did in Jr. High and can buy nice clothes for just about the first time in my life!  I'm healthier and as a result of the my newfound confidence very, very, VERY good things are happening for me!

I'm now 16 months post-surgery and 101 lbs lighter.  I could still stand to lose another 10 lbs or so to get my BMI in a normal range, but even the doctor said that I'm looking much thinner than my BMI suggests and that he wouldn't be upset if my weight stayed right where it is.  I was VERY impressed with my surgeon and the staff at the center he works for and am thrilled I chose him to do my surgery.

I live my life as my life now......I don't live my life around my weigh.  It's amazing!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views