Protein Shake for Liquid Pre-Op Diet and After

isabellarossellini
on 11/30/11 11:10 pm
Hi All,

I've gotten such great advise on here, and was hoping I could get some more.  I'm starting my Dr's two week pre-op liquid diet on Monday, December 5th, and I'm wondering what your favorite pre-op Protein supplement was/is?  Also, wondering about the clear liquid protein supplement for the week after surgery, and what you suggest? 

Thanks for any suggestions you might have, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with the options.  Wishing there was a protein supplement tastings like they have for  wine. :)  Maybe we should do that at a group! HA
hermio
on 11/30/11 11:31 pm
 My Favorite is Premier Protein. You can buy the chocolate @ Costco. In my area it is $25 for a box of 18.

For me it tastes the closest to Chocolate Milk I have ever come.

I also like GNC Wheybolic 60 in Chocolate but mix 2 scoops with 10oz of coffee. (20g protein in each scoop) Tastes like a chocolate coffee.

Everyones tastes are different but I don't think I have seen anyone yet that did't like the premier protein. (I think SAMS club has it too.)

1st Goal 225      2nd Goal  200     3rd Goal 180   Trying 1st = 3 mo    2nd = 6mo   3rd = 1yr  GW 180

Dec 5,  2011 VSG,    5'7" Male,     HW 320,     SW 276,     CW 235,     GW 190
Loss by Doc Visit 1mo=18   3mo= 26   6mo=??  
(deactivated member)
on 11/30/11 11:33 pm - LA
I drank  Oh Yeah from GNC.  I love the chocolate but I find I am getting tired of it after 3 weeks.  They also have Vanilla and cookies and cream.  
dec721
on 11/30/11 11:36 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Pre-op ... and even post-op once I got to full liquids -- my favorite shake was Slimfast Low Carb.  Make sure it is the low carbs version, a little hard to find in stores.  Next favorites were Atkins and EAS.  (I hated mixing shakes from powder, but many people do it.)

I tried the protein bullets for clear protein, and they were okay.  Other folks will chime in with their faves.  I believe Isopure is a clear protein.  I also ate sf jello and drank a LOT of chicken broth.  Quite frankly, I didn't worry too much about protein grams until I got to solid food, although I didn't drink anything that wasn't protein first.  My highest priority during the first month was to stay hydrated.  Sip sip sip.

Best wishes on your journey:-)
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

rhearob
on 12/1/11 12:04 am - TN
 I use Body Fortress Whey Protein Isolate.  Its 30g of Protein per 8 oz serving with low fat and low carbs.  I find it at Kroger and GNC in Vanilla and Chocolate.  Its 130 to 140 calories per serving.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 12:34 am
I love Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard %100 WHEY. It's a powder that mixes great and the flavors I have tried taste great too. 1 scoop= 120-130calories, 1.5g fat, 3-4g carb, 1g sugar, 24g protein. I love the extreme milk chocolate, chocolate mint and the double rich chocolate. I have this for breakfast mixed with 8oz/1cup of simply smart ff milk for 34g protein. I found that Amazon.com has the best prices but compare with bodybuilder.com to get the best price. For post-op clear try the different flavors of Isopure. My favorites are apple melon and icy orange, I would find a Sobe 0 or a Vitamin water 0 in a complimentary flavor and combine for 40 oz. and 40g protein. Good Luck
JNelson825
on 12/2/11 2:40 am - CA
I concure with hermio.  The protein shakes from Costco are good.  Not the weight loss shakes, but the protein shakes.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 309 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 356 views