Pre-op diet question

ALAN J.
on 12/5/11 6:12 am
 Had all my pre surgery tests done today and finally got to sit down with my Physician.  Everything is on track for my surgery first thing next Tuesday morning!!!  We had a really strange thing happen though, the class that I had at the beginning of the day went through a lot of the stuff that we all talk about on this forum along with the pre-op diet.  I was all set to start the pre-op liquid diet tomorrow morning (that is when I was originally told I would start****il I sat down with my Physician.  He told me not to worry about being on it since my BMI is 37.2.  Has anyone else heard of this before?

Highest WGT-295, Surgery WGT-295, Goal WGT-215 - 80LB LOST in 8 months!

LaToya S.
on 12/5/11 6:16 am - Edwardsville, IL
It is probably due to you being on the 'lower' end of the BMI scale :-)

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

cracsgrl
on 12/5/11 6:19 am
I would have to agree with above poster. One of the main reasons for the liquid diet is to shrink the liver down a little to help access the stomach easier for surgery. Since your liver rest basically on your stomach even shrinking it just a little helps. 

anninva
on 12/5/11 6:27 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
here's my thought:  the doc said it would be okay, the liquid diet for a week sucks (it made me cry) and you've escaped a bullet!  enjoy!!!  good luck and keep us up-to-date on how you're doing!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jstang003
on 12/5/11 6:29 am - GA

I didnt have a post op diet like you my bmi was low i only had to do liquid 24hrs before surgery

califsleevin
on 12/5/11 8:54 am - CA
Surgeons vary all over the map on this, but many who do require a pre-op diet wave the requirement for lower BMI patients. The basic premise is to improve your liver condition to make things easier on the surgeon (so that he, in turn, can make things easier on you, long term - you want to make him comfortable when he's inside of you!) Many don't require it at all - mine didn't, nor did he require it of my wife when she was a 60+ BMI on his table. It all gets back to what makes your surgeon comfortable when working.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

GeneralSandyK
on 12/5/11 9:07 am
I started with a lower BMI and I still had to do the pre-op diet. Honestly, if I were you, I would call and just double check. If you still get told you don't have to do it, then that is awesome! But just in case they say you do have to, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views