5 days out, should I drink more??

Stronger1
on 12/5/11 7:54 am - Charlotte, NC

Hey guys,
I am afraid I'm not reaching my liquid goals, but I am scared to drink too much?  How will I know if I'm over drinking at one time?  Is there a certain feeling you get?  I was given those little 1 ounce medicine cups to drink in the  hospital ever 30 but that just isn't always possible...so how do I know how much I can drink at one time?  Will my tummy give me a sign?

julesGA
on 12/5/11 8:03 am - Brunswick, GA
 I get a tiny little ouchy feeling and a definite feeling of fullness.   I'd just fill up a glass and sip on it along and along rather than trying to drink an ounce at a time. 

Ms Shell
on 12/5/11 8:10 am - Hawthorne, CA
WHY is it "not" possible??  Is it a physical thing?

I ask because I carried a 16oz water bottle around the house with me and I drank my water from a shot glass about every 15-30 minutes.  The LAST thing I wanted to do was go to the hospital ER no less and get needles stuck in me for dehdration.  Not to mention how crappy you feel when dehydrated.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

dittodotv
on 12/5/11 8:34 am
Hey there,

I think we had our surgery on the same day, Nov. 30? Anyway, I have an insulated glass with a screw-on lid and a smalls lot for sipping from, bought it at Walmart. When I measured liquid in it, it holds 20 oz. I fill it up in the morning and sip, sip, until its gone, fill it up again, and continue. My goal, and since I got home from the hospital Sat., is to drink 3 of these a day, plus one bowl of 8 oz. chicken broth (which beg. on 8th day I will add Unjury protein powder to it) at lunch-time, and an 8 oz. protein shake for dinner hour. Then I keep sipping, sipping from my glass (by evening I've been on my 3rd cup of the day). So for me, this is a great way to measure my liquids. 20 x 3 = 60 + 8 x 2 = 16 == grand total 76 oz.  Now last evening I was not totally done with my 3rd cup, but as I woke up in the night I kept sipping. So yesterday it was more like And, if I wake up in the night, I am still sipping. Even if I don't drink the entire 3rd cup, I know I am getting at least 70 oz.

I hope this helps. Ms. Shell is right, we certainly don't want to end up in the ER dehydrated!! I don't want to see a hospital again for a long time!! LOL

Best wishes to you for lots of success!!

50yr. old female 5'8" / HW 363 / ConsW 346 / SW 333 / CW 184.4

RPrice85
on 12/5/11 9:10 am - MI
I was given the medicine 1oz cups as well and was told not to drink out of a glass for a little while, just drink out of the little cups. My surgeon wants me to get between 1-4oz in an hour and record it...so drinking out of the little cups is my way to measure. So for two hours I try to get 8oz, then I have to try to get up to 4oz of my protein shake rest for 30min and repeat. This is just the regimine they have me on for right now!
5'5" 26yrs old HW:288, SW:253, CW:225; Lost 35lbs pre-op, Mo1: 21lbs

Jeanne T.
on 12/5/11 10:43 am
My Dr expects 8oz every hour or so.  I've gotten it down pretty good I drink from a 20 oz bottle fill 3 times plus my 4-5 shakes a day for a grand total of 80-100 oz of liquid a day.  But I will tell you the protien shakes are starting to get old.  My tummy hurts a bit under the breastbone if I drink to fast.

soon2b20
on 12/5/11 10:53 am - NJ
Jeanne T... what kind of shakes are you drinking?  4-5 a day sounds like it could be a lot of calories.  Asking mostly becuase if you have a good low cal one please share.

Thanks !

Stronger1
on 12/6/11 7:26 am - Charlotte, NC
Thanks for all the responses...I'm still having difficulty today.  I feel like I'm constantly guzzing something.  Just going to have to step it up I guess.  Hopefully once any swelling goes down it will get easier.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 206 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 290 views