8 months out (and all is well)

vacationlover
on 12/8/11 11:00 pm
Hi! Today is my 8 month surgiversary!

My recovery and journey has been pretty smooth so far... Here is my not so short summary of where I'm at...

Cons
- I still have my hunger. Have had it since day 2 postop. I took a PPI, that didn't help. It's real hunger. However, it is manageable
- Junk food is a slider for me, so I am having to be very careful/mindful during this season of cookies and treats. The surgery might have made my tummy smaller, but it didn't take away cravings. I have to practice willpower on a daily basis.
- I can't eat avocados. They give me a dumping-like reaction. They are the only food I've found that does that to me.
- I lost quite a bit of hair, but the loss is slowing down.
- My nails are very brittle, so I'm taking Biotin. I think it's helping.
- I have had to replace almost my entire wardrobe. The only think left from the old days is a coat and 2 pairs of jeans that I bought years ago, and which never fit me
- Since month 6 my weightloss has slowed down. I went from losing an average of 3 lbs a week, to losing an average of between 1.5-2 lbs a week.

Pros
- I feel great!
- I get full on only 2 oz of protein. Sometimes I have room for up to 1/4 cup fruit or veggies, sometimes I don't.
- If I follow my plan, I'm never starving. My plan is: always eat protein first. Only eat at meal and snack times. If I'm not hungry, I skip my snack.
- I have went from a size 26W pant to a size 16 (not W)pant. I have went from tight Womens 3X, to a regular XL (sometimes L) shirt.
- I weigh less than I did in high school.
- Classes at the gym are SO much easier! Yoga, weightlifting, kickboxing, etc.
- I don't get as sore when I run! My feet and knees always used to get sore during and after my run
- I get compliments daily about how great I look.

Other random info
- Right after surgery I was in a LOT of pain... even though I took my pain meds. I had surgery on a Friday morning, and was in a lot of pain even when I went home on Sunday. On Monday, I started feeling better.
- I am open about my surgery to anyone who asks. The really cool thing is that my story has inspired at least 3 people to look into the VSG
- I am not really a stairstep loser. I have only had one week without losing anything. However, in the past 6 months, I haven't had one of those weeks where you lose 8 pounds or something. Instead of getting these big losses like some people, I get fairly consistent small losses.
- I work out. My goal is to hit the gym 6 days a week. In that week, I do yoga at least once, weightlifting at least twice, and running at least once.
- I really try hard to stick to my plan... 600-800 calories on days I don't work out. Under 1000 on days I do. 70+ grams of protein a day. 8 glasses or more of water a day. Take my vitamins.
- My 6 month labs were pretty good! Due to the results, I had to drop my B12 to once a week, and my iron to twice a week. I also had to up my protein from 60 grams.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 11:14 pm - MO

Such an inspiration! Congrats on your success!

EmilyUT
on 12/9/11 1:38 am - UT
Great job! Sorry about the hunger, but you are doing amazingly well. You'll be a pro at avoiding temptation by the time you're in maintenance! Would love to see a photo...

~Emily

vacationlover
on 12/9/11 9:08 pm
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views