im one week away from surgey and getting cold feet

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/11 4:13 am
Hi Roxan,
I'm just a few days out from my surgery. Already I think it's worth it. Yes, there are risks involved, as there are with any surgery. For me the risks of surgery were far outweighed (ha - no pun intended) by the fact that I have prediabetes and hypertension. I have lost weight over and over, but always gained it back and every time I had second thoughts I reminded myself why I wanted to do this in the first place. I'm feeling really healthy and strong, and I'm having a pretty easy recovery. I can walk about, I'm not in pain and I am able to drink with no issues. Also, my blood sugar levels were completely normal when I left the hospital which, for me, was great news!

krystlekellie
on 12/10/11 4:55 am - TX
I'm also having surgery on the 19th and lately the negatives are all I can think about.. It really just keeps me in a bad mood. Then I started my pre-op diet yesterday and I keep feeling like I will fail. After reading these comments it really gives a lil peace of mind. I want to be here for my family and Im not giving up this time!!
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/10/11 5:04 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I am in principle five weeks away from surgery. I have had a number of cold feet, freak out, second thoughts etc. I think its pretty normal, we are all afraid of the unknown. But I am sure it is not only the right way but the only way. Stay the course and you will not regret it! Just keep your mind focused on the goal. Failure is not an option. No pain, no gain... Well...loss in our case!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Texasteacher68
on 12/10/11 8:16 am - TX
 I too am having surgery on the 19th like several of you. I had my last visit with my surgeon last Thursday. He told me that if I wasn't nervous, he would be nervous. You are about to make a huge, life changing decision. As scary as that may be, the hope I feel for my future far supersedes the scary feeling. You will do great and wish you had done it sooner...
roxann
on 12/10/11 1:23 pm - chanute, KS
 im so glad to hear that you all are all happy with your sleeves..i have 3 young children ages 5,3 and 6 month...which of 2 were csections so i have have had surgery twice before, i guess im afraid of getting a leak or a clot or dieing but i want to be here for my kids . but i know i need this im 30 yrs old and cant even keep up with my kids...and with out my health im not going to be here for years anyway.... also im 5ft 5in 284 lbs i was 298 2 weeks ago but i have been on myh pre op diet.. i hope to get down to 175.. im thankful for the suport here....im going to take my lap top with me to the hospital so i will keep you all posted.. keep the encourageing word coming we all need them
bobrfish
on 12/10/11 4:59 pm - MN

Gave myself the option of canceling surgery for months prior to surgery.  The night before, I knew I was all in.
Surgeon told me he had two problems with sleeves but both patients are healthy now.  Surgeon has performed many sleeves in last three years.  That resolved my fear of surgery.  Fear of surgery was really just a small fear.
Big fear was no longer enjoying food.  It is now one month post op and this fear has come true.  There is nothing I enjoy eating today.  Protein shakes go down the easist and elict the least nausea.
Despite no longer enjoying tastes and ingesting food, it is not bothering me as if I lost a great friend.  It is just another rock in the road to walk around and continue on. 
On bright side, I have lost 15 lb in first month since surgery.  No longer are my BG readings in prediabetic range.  BP medications are reduced and may eventual quit them all together.   Sleep apnea may be alleviated too.
Yes I would do it again.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views