Bathroom issues?

cynthiac24
on 12/11/11 1:35 am - miami, FL
 I had surgery on the 6 and have no been able to do number 2 since then is that normal?

jaded123
on 12/11/11 2:20 am - MD
Sadly, yes, constipation is very common among VSGers. 
Different things help different people.  You'll have to see what works best for your body.  Lots of people use milk of magnesia with success.  I tried fiber gummies, and although they're delicious, they didn't help me go to the bathroom.  Neither did a daily stool softener (although that often works for many people.) 

What's worked for me, finally, is daily Miralax.  For the first couple of days I took it, I took a full dose.  Then I was going to the bathroom daily, and easily, and so I cut back to a half a dose, every day, and am VERY pleased.  I'm back to going "normally."  

A note and a disclaimer:  talk to your doctor about what he/she recommends!  I do take extra iron daily for anemia, so that may be why I need to take Miralax daily.  Something else/less might work great for you!

HW: 310 /  Lost 15 on pre-op diet  /  SW: 295  /  CW: --- /  GW: 170-175

frenchgrapes
on 12/11/11 2:29 am - TX
Again - my experience only - and it may be a bit too graphic for some -

The first day or so I didn't have a bowel movement but I hadn't put anything resembling a solid in my mouth since Friday, Dec. 2nd. Then, around the 3rd/4th day, I had some really gross mucousy stuff. Since around the 4th day when I started my protein shakes again, I've had some very runny bowel movements - not diarrhea - but that is to be expected as I'm on a full liquid diet.

Are you constipated or have fever? What kind of liquids are you putting into your body?
veranda
on 12/11/11 11:11 am
I would also talk to your Dr. I have this same issues and I am out 9 months. I use an organis tea called smooth move. It is at the grocery store in the tea isle. Contact your Dr. first. Good Luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 386 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 419 views